Chapter Three: The Red Dance Part Three

Freya's POV
"I was raised in a simple home." I looked at my all my guests. I still can't see Frank or Leen. Even Theo is not in here. I can only see Cole and it looks like he just got here. "We only had what is basic and that was not always a guarantee. I understand what it feels like to live hand to mouth and that is why I give myself to help others. It's my motivation to better the life of every individual I interact with. While I wish I can help everyone, I'm taking it a person at a time expanding my foundation in the hopes that someday everyone I have helped will touch a life. I'm especially grateful to..." I searched through the crowd for Frank once again. I haven't seen him all night. "My husband, Francis. He is the most supportive husband a woman can have. He helps out even if it's serving soup in the shelters. He's all in and down for whatever needs to be done to put a smile on a stranger's face. Without him, none of this would be possible."

A brief applause gave me a chance to look around for the twins. It's only Cole. He is speaking to Keira. The most important people are all missing. Only strangers are here for me. Where is my family?

"I'm also grateful to my twins Cole and Coleen for their support. I believe the future is for our children. I have done my part to give them a comfortable life so that they can help those in need. In conclusion, I would like to dedicate this award to my father. He is the one who introduced me to philanthropy. He took me to a shelter one winter. When I saw how happy the people at the shelter were for his generosity, I decided then that this is what I want to do. Thank you all for being here tonight. I'm grateful. Enjoy the night, on me!"

I raised the golden award and bowed slightly at their applause.

Where is my family?

Coleen told me she is not feeling well but she went to look for her father. But where is Francis?

"Mrs Harrington, we can't find Mr Harrington. You two are supposed to open the dance?"

"Oh yes!" I agreed. I promised Francis we would dance together at least once tonight. "I can't find him. Have your people look for him, please."

"I'll see to it. Perhaps you can close the night." She suggested.

"Even better." I agreed.

"Better get to waltzing Mrs Harrington." She smiled just after the tune of the Blue Danube started playing.

"Mom!" I heard Cole Michael but I could not get to him. The waltz started and I found myself with a partner. We waltzed to the Blue Danube exchanging partners as we swayed.

Cole and I tried to get closer to each other but I ended up laughing at how impossible the simple task became. He looks eager to get to me. I wonder what he wants to tell me. I don't care for conversation, just a dance with my son. When the music ended abruptly, I saw an opportunity to reach him but an odd man with an eye patch took the stage and captured my attention. I haven't seen him all night.

He grabbed the microphone from a waiter and cleared his throat a sinister smile plastered on his peculiar face. "Ladies and gentlemen, this is a robbery."

When he said so some guests broke into laughter and so did the man with the eye patch until he grew serious and the laughter faded. I looked around for Frank or security but there's no one. In fact, they are closing doors. I don't think it was a joke.

All of a sudden, some of the waiters cast away their trays and pulled out guns. Panic ensued, screams suddenly burst through the ballroom and ceased suddenly when they shot in the air. "Silence!" The man shouted.

Any bodyguards who tried to stand up to them got shot at once, others surrendered their weapons.

I wanted to move to somehow get close to my son but there's a gunman right next to me. My heart jumped into my throat. I'm so happy Leen is not here. Her and the baby are safer anywhere but here. I'm happy my husband isn't here either because he's not the kind to stand still when threatened. I hate that Cole is in here. I hate that all these other innocent people are in this ballroom.

I shifted my palm to urge Cole not to move. I don't want him to risk his life for me. His blue eyes remained glued on me. I exhibited calmness hoping it would calm him enough to stay put. The armed men walked around picking jewelry from everyone. They yanked the diamond choker from my neck. I gasped but I didn't dare move.

"That's it people, stay calm." They announced while making rounds.

What I hoped to be a peaceful robbery wasn't as peaceful when one man attacked one of the gun men. There was a struggle more so when another one joined in. They were shot by the other gunmen.

"This could have been quick. But since you've proved stubborn..." The man with an eye patch snapped his fingers and so began the bloody massacre. The gunmen opened fire on everyone. Screams drowned everyone in panic and fear. In a wave of panic people started running even breaking out through the windows. The screams tore through the night accompanied by the sound of gunshots. I watched Cole trying to make his way to me. I closed my eyes barely moving finding peace in the chaos. I think this is it for me. I feel it.

Cole battled to get to me and he pushed people out of his way. I looked at him like I'll never see him again. A gunman close to me sealed my fate when he looked me in the eyes. I realized that it isn't a robbery. They are here for a purpose. I felt piercing pain three times. I made sure to look at Cole as he got close. I stretched out my arm hoping to reach him but gravity took over. My body became heavy as I fell hard on the marble floor. He finally reached me trying to call me but his voice is becoming faint. Everything around me is fading. I can't lift my hand to touch his face. I want to tell him love him. He pressed his hand on my chest and stomach. I can't feel anything. I shuddered at the chill. Why is it cold? Why can't I move? I felt tears streaming down my cheeks. I'm not in control anymore.

I want to tell him it's going to be okay. Someone pushed him away. I tried to focus my gaze. I can't see clearly. I'm losing my strength. I can't feel anything. Where is Francis? Frank...

Frank's POV
"Come on Freya!" I watched the young doctor attending to my wife. The once white dress that I bought her is red. It's soaked in blood. Several people are dead all around me. This is Scarlett Monáe. She has done this. It's Scarlett.

My wife.

"Stop it Ferrer! Stop it she's dead!" Cole snapped at him.

I saw Coleen standing at the door, her form weak. They found me and together we hurried back here. I focused on the woman my son is declaring dead. I have done everything to protect her for almost thirty four years.

She can't be dead.

"I'm sorry. Time of death, 10.59pm." Ferrer stamped her fate.

Dead.

The onlookers stepped aside giving me way as I quietly approached my wife. Cole remained seated on the floor still looking at his mother.

"Nora dear." I whispered falling on my knees. "Nora dear." She wouldn't move. The blue in her eyes is so pale. She's getting cold. I took off my jacket to cover her. I scooped her body into my arms not caring that I'm sitting in a pool of her blood. "Nora dear. Wake up."

She's not responding.

I used a handkerchief to clean up the blood on her face and neck. I kissed her cheek rocking her quietly as tears sting my eyes. I don't have the strength to hold them back. I allowed them to flow for my dear wife.

"Dad," Cole touched my shoulder. "The police... Let her go."

"Nora dear." I tried to wake her.

This is all a bad dream that will end soon. I just have to fight to wake up. We have to wake up. This is not happening. My wife is not dead. She can't be. It's a bad dream. "Wake up Nora. Please stop this! Wake up!"

"Mr Harrington." A man in a uniform touched my shoulder. "Sir, this is a crime scene. Please allow my men to do their job. Let the body go sir."

"Nora... Her name is Nora! She is not a body!"

"Dad, let her go. She's dead." Cole tried to get me to release my wife.

He doesn't understand. He doesn't understand. None of them understand that at the end of the day it has always been Nora and I. Just us two. Now it will be just me. "Nora dear."

"Leave him alone please." I heard Sinclair's voice. Give him room. He will let go when he's ready."

I don't know if they left. I just know I held my wife trying to keep her warm. This is a bad dream. I just have to wake up from it. We will both wake up.