Chapter Thirteen: A New Friend

Freya's POV
The last place I ever expected to return to us the Harrington Estate. The manner in which I was kicked out didn't really leave an opportunity to return but here I am, back not as a maid but as Frank's soon to be wife.

I squeezed my hands together looking outside the window of the Rolls Royce. I have been in this car before down this path plant times but never as a woman to be married by Mr Harrington. It feels different almost like a new experience.

I froze when I saw Mrs Ports and Alexa waiting outside the front steps. As the car came to a stop, I held onto the door. It would have helped if Francis came back with me. He stayed to help out with my mother. The situation was worse than we thought. He wanted me here so that I won't bail out on him. When the chauffeur tried to open the back door, I held on until I lost the battle.

"Miss," he offered his hand.

I don't want to get out of the car. I don't want to face Mrs Ports. I don't want to live in this house. There are so many things I don't want yet here I am.

"Is she stuck in there?" A woman with a slight Scottish accent asked. She peeked into the car curiously. Her green eyes flashed with excitement. "Aye, you must be Freya. Yes?"

"Yes." I reciprocated the small smile. "Come!"

I took her hand and she helped me out of the car. She looked me over. I'm dressed like I usually would back in the farm. Old  worn out boots and a winter coat that has seen better days. "I left in a hurry."

"No judgement here." She smiled again. "My name is Court."

"My name is Freya." My eyes net Mrs Ports. She glared at me and grabbed Alexa. "I should... They don't like me."

"What are you doing here? Weren't you thrown out?"

"Mrs Ports, I would advise you to watch yourself." Court told her. "Take a step back. We are going into the house. He useful and make us some tea." She took my hand and dragged me along. I was hesitant to enter the house and Court actually yanked me in. "For goodness sake lassie! It's your new house! You're the mistress now!"

"Mrs Harrington doesn't like me!"

Court frowned. Her expression hardened. "Are you from beyond the stones?'?" She asked me.

"What?" I asked.

"Never mind, you wouldn't understand. Mrs Harrington passed away days ago. Didn't Francis tell you?"

"What? No he didn't."

"What a queer realationship!" She sat on the comfortable sofa in front of the fireplace. She sank right in. Francis lost his mother and he hasn't said a word! He must be in a lot of pain!  "Come sit down!"

"I'm too filthy. I need a bath. I'll go to the servants quarters-"

"But you're not a servant." She grimaced. "You're bathe mistress of the house. You bathe upstairs. Come on. We will find Frank's room."

She didn't give me a chance to refuse. She dragged me along up the stairs. "Where is Frank's room?"

"Here." I stopped in front of the tall paneled wood doors. It's the only bedroom in the hallway. There are two adjoining rooms with doors on the inside for an office and a room that has nothing in it.

"Go on then!"

"It feels wrong. Maybe the guest room?"

"Nonsense!" She opened the door dragging me in with her. "Go take your bath. I'll find you something to wear."

I have cleaned this bathroom one too many times. Francis is not messy. He's tidy. He keeps everything is where it should be. That's what I found when I walked in. Perfection. I stepped into the shower as opposed to soaking in the tub. I made it quick as the feeling of being a misplaced object bugged me. Court presented a pair of sweat pants and a sweater. They smell like Francis. It's the most alluring scent. "Can you excuse me?"