Eight - Moving out

Start from the beginning

Steve nods his head. "At least I won't have to worry about you as much anymore" he says gently.

"So I won't be as much of a distraction in fights?" I ask. I think back to what he said when he ended things between us.

"I can't concentrate when you're around me. I'm too focused on making sure you're safe." Those words echo through my head as I stare up at him.

"You will always be a distraction" he says suggestively.

I look from his eyes and then down to his lips. "A good distraction?" I ask.

All he does is nod his head. I smile. "This could have worked between us, yano" I tell him.

"I know" he replies.

"So why did you end it? You didn't even give us a chance"

"I guess I panicked" he replies. "For most of us, this team is all we have left. I didn't want our relationship to jeopardise any of that. I care about you too much to hurt you"

I sigh. "You hurt me by ending it. That was when I needed you the most. You let me get close to you, only to push me away when I was at my most vulnerable. I needed you"

He looks down at his hands and nods his head. "That day in your room, when you cried in my arms. That was the first time I realised how much you truly meant to me. It freaked me out"

"Are you ever going to tell me how you truly feel?" I ask.

He smiles. "Today doesn't seem like the right day to do that" he tells me.

I smile back at him. "You're probably right. It would only make it more difficult for me to leave"

"Would you stay if I asked you to?" He asks softly.

I think about it for a moment before slowly shaking my head. "I need this Steve. Besides, I think you need time on your own to realise how much you need me around" I wink at him. Part of me is only trying to tease him but there's also a big part of me that wants him to take this time to want me. Sometimes distance is what makes the heart grow fonder. Let's hope my theory is right.

"I realised that as soon as I told you I needed space. Turns out I needed the opposite. I just need you with me"

I feel a blush beginning on my cheeks and look away from him. His hand comes up and rests on my chin. He moves my face around so we are back to facing each other. My heart rate picks up as my eyes lock with his.

He begins to lean forward. I feel myself begin to lean in but stop myself before I have the chance to let our lips touch. I reach my hand up and hold it against his chest. Keeping a distance between us. My heart is pounding in my chest.

"You can't kiss me like this. Not if it doesn't mean anything" I tell him desperately.

"It means everything" he says gently. I smile.

"You mean that?" I ask nervously.

He just smiles. He reaches out and grabs both sides of my face before pulling me into him. This time, I don't have the chance to push him away - even if I wanted to. I close my eyes as our lips touch.