Ch 46 - Valentine's in Hogsmeade

Mulai dari awal

"Mia Barker, the cute Hufflepuff in our Herbology class."

"What about you?" Branwen turned to Sirius. "Are you going with Marlene again?"

"Nah. She's going with that Slytherin, Clark Stebbins. I'm going with Jemma Miller."

"Peter, I saw you talking to Charity Burbage earlier. Are you and she going together?"

"Yes," he squeaked behind a spoonful of oatmeal.

"I guess that just leaves you," Branwen smiled at Remus. "Anyone catch your fancy?"

He shrugged and pushed his eggs around on his plate. "Not really. Guess it'll just be me and you hanging out." He dropped his fork and turned to her. "Unless you're going with someone else."

"And give up a day with my best friend? Absolutely not!" She grinned and tried to swallow back a flush that threatened to creep up her cheeks. She had omitted the fact that she had been asked out by no less than three different boys, including the persistent Ravenclaws, Cresswell and Aubrey, as well as Hufflepuff Davey Gudgeon. Even Regulus, who now sat beside her in every Potions class, had intimated rather plainly that he had no plans with anyone for the Valentine's trip. They were all very nice, it's true, but going with someone on Valentine's Day smacked of romance, and Branwen wasn't looking for that with any of those boys. So why not brush them all off in favour of her best friend?

Branwen slept in the next morning. When she awoke, Alice had already left for her date with Frank Longbottom. Emmeline was just putting on the last touches of her make-up. She, Mary, Dorcas, and Lynley Cartwright had decided to spurn dates in favour of a girls' day on the town.

Branwen wished her a good morning, then turned to her own wardrobe. Suddenly it seemed that nothing she had was good enough to wear in front of....well, in front of people. Snow was still thick on the ground, so she picked out her nicest pair of black trousers and her favourite blue blouse. She decided to pair them with her matching set of faux Jackalope fur trimmed coat, hat, boots, and mittens. Finally tucking her wand into her pocket, she skipped down the stairs.

To her surprise, Remus was already waiting for her. She paused in the shadow of the stairwell and watched him. He was pacing in front of the fireplace, running his hands through his hair in James-fashion. He was wearing a thick green jumper under his cloak, and it darkened the colour of his eyes by several shades. His shirt and trousers were obviously the hand-me-downs his father had given him at Christmas; they draped from his lanky frame in all the wrong places.

Branwen suddenly felt overdressed, and, perhaps for the first time, embarrassed by the wealth that set her apart from her friend. Walking beside him in her matched outfit, custom-tailored by up-and-coming fashion designer, Madam Malkin, Remus would look like nothing more than a Muggle drifter.

Before he could spot her, she ran back up the stairs and threw her coat down on her bed. Smoothing her long hair, she trailed back down, trying to sound as casual as possible as she sauntered into the common room. "Hey, Remus, do you have an extra jumper I can borrow? I just can't find anything to wear and I remember yours was so warm that night I was in the Forest."

"Um, yeah, sure." He disappeared up the stairs to his dorm and shortly returned with a red cablet-knit garment.

"Thanks!" She smiled and slipped it over her head. Now they were evenly matched in their over-sized clothes: Remus' jumper slid well past her hips and hung over her fingertips.

"All right?" He grinned and scratched the back of his head.

"Yes, sir." She tucked her hand into his proffered elbow and they set off toward the village.