Chapter 2

The sun was already near high noon as Ellie jogged along the side of the cobblestone street headed into Phiana, with Lillian trailing behind. Just ahead, Ellie spotted the large public carriage and kept it in sight as she waited for her little sister to catch up.

"Hurry up!" she called back. "I don't wanna be stuck waiting for the next one!"

"I'm hurrying!" Lillian whined.

Ellie grabbed her sister's hand and dashed to the public carriage. It was several times larger than the usual carriage and drawn by massive oxen. Ellie and Lillian slipped through one of the few open sides and searched for seating along the wooden partitions. With no seats available, they joined the other passengers in the aisle and held onto the poles to brace themselves for the bumpy ride.

The carriage swayed gently along the cobblestone streets. From the pocket of her plain, green dress, Ellie fetched the shopping list that her mother had given her that morning. She mentally mapped every item she read and plotted the most efficient and time-saving route through the market, all while occasionally fanning herself with the list. The heat was radiating from the cobblestone, and Ellie thought that if perhaps she had a few less tosses and turns in her sleep, they could have avoided this altogether.

"Ellie!" Lillian nudged her sister and keenly pointed out a passing cart that carried lumber and other supplies.

"Looks like they're getting ready for festival set up," she smiled.

"I can't wait!" Lillian bounced on her toes as best she could on the moving carriage. "I've saved every single coin from my allowance since the year started. You won't believe how many foods I'm gonna try!"

"Lillian, you should at least save a few coins for a souvenir."

"I guess." She bobbed her head in reluctant agreement. "Are you coming with us this year?"

Ellie raised her brow. "I go every year. Why would this one be any different?"

"I dunno. I wasn't sure how soon your apprenticeship would start."

"Oh goodness, no, not until the upcoming school year. Don't worry, I'll be free all summer." That was, of course, assuming she would even take the apprenticeship. Ellie wanted to, but each time she pondered it, she heard her mother's voice as her mind reenacted their conversation.

Ellie resumed browsing the list as Lillian watched the people riding with them. The sisters were quiet for a time before Lillian took interest in the book peeking from Ellie's bag.

"Is that one any good?" she asked.

"This?" Ellie placed her fingers on the spine sticking out from under the bag's flap. "I'm surprised you'd ask."

"Well it's not like I hate books, even if a certain someone would say otherwise." Lillian seemed only moderately offended by the remark. "I just rarely find ones I actually like."

"I think you'd like this one." Ellie pulled out the book with her free hand. "It's an interesting story, but a lot darker than what I usually read, so it has me a bit unsettled. I think that's why I slept so poorly last night."

She withheld the part about the silhouette at the edge of the woods, either out of embarrassment at her reaction or not to worry her sister.

"It can be exhilarating, but I'm not too worried. It's not like werewolves exist, anyway."

"Oh, they exist!"

Ellie glared at her younger sister. "Lillian, no they don't."

"Yes they do! They just don't live around here."