Chapter 28

For the times' sake, Isla purchased a copy of The Times. She skipped the celeb gossip splattered all over the front page, swearing at the publishers for making such a huge deal about which celeb was dating whom. It had been merely a week since she had her third wet dream starring Jaden Smith, yet he brazenly dated Sarah. Sarah What?

Sinclair? Stone? Syd__ Ugh. She reasoned that if celebrities did have a faintest clue of the number of girls dating them in their fantasies, their anxiety levels would keep ratcheting up. But then, who cared? That was barely the point now. She'd parted ways with Craig doused in her well of tears, hoping against hope for his acquittal.

Wisely, she'd abandoned her Ferrari at home in case she suffered her occasional fit of madness triggered by her dad's presence, and proved unsuitability to drive herself back. When she finished eyeing the cute photo of Jaden and his hotter-than-hell-on-the-baddest-day girlfriend, she flipped to the second page. And, in one accord, her stomach flipped as well.

IT'S THE TRIAL OF THE DECADE.

Craig Sherman, 18-year old student of Bright Wood High, is arraigned before judge and jury for the alleged murder of his high school sweetheart, Novah Dehler. The principal accused has confessed to his horrid deed, basing his actions on his infatuation with his childhood best friend, Isla Dehler, whom we gather was Novah's sister.

"I've been crushing on you since forever. And I didn't give a shit about whether you give a shit about love because that's shit and you'd better put up with my shit." He says, addressing Miss Isla. The video of his little rendezvous with her posted on YouTube yesterday sparked mass interest, soaring above 1.5 million views in less than 48 hours. It's... Sensational...

Extremely absorbed in her paper, she bumped into an oncoming black guy who was equally engrossed in the video he was watching on his iPad.

"Excuse me."
He brushed past as if she was a pestering fly.

She peered over his shoulder, managing to suppress her gag reflex in time. He was watching the clip of her and Craig.

"Uh, can I borrow your phone for a sec?"
She concocted her plan.
If God was kind enough to let her accomplish it... Well...

He was kind. But enough? Time would tell. Or show. Whichever.

"Sure. But I hope you're not gonna steal it and run away," he consented.

And, pop, she clicked delete on the troublesome video.

"They were just about to kiss!" He grabbed his head in both hands, squeezing his cheeks together.
All because of a kiss?

"If you want pure porn, go scout for it yourself. Stop feeding your screwed up mind that has definitely lost one screw on my affair." By so saying, she invited her addressee to take a closer look at her.

"Hey, you're the girl."

"Oh no," she mumbled, making a beeline for the reverse direction.

"Oh yeah. Get back here. I need an autograph."
Fumbling around his breast and pants pockets, he presented a ball pen, running after her.

"Sign me!"

She knew a red flag when she saw one. This man was destined to punish her soul with eternal trouble. She saw it all over his dreadlocks lolling across his thick eyebrows.

"Piss off, loser!"

"Everybody this is Isla Dehler the girl in the video but she don't wanna sign my back flank her flank her she ain't getting away like this she's popular, " he ranted, gaining the attention of passers-by as a reward for his blabbering.

"Oh my God!"

"It's really her!"

"We love you Isla!"

"My son has copies of all your pictures on his bedroom closet!"

"I need this autograph for his birthday present!"

Altogether, they pushed their sweaty bodies into and out of one another, scampering to have a glimpse of the hitherto obscure girl. Isla's mouth fell apart. She considered laughing but trashed the idea, seeing the rampage, the  solid wall of people who encompassed her round about, very much like what the Israelites did to the wall of Jericho.

Thrusting out coloring books, paper bills, bags, her sea of admirers choked her on their attention full-on, yelling, channeling shouts of Isla! through the air. Oh God. Yeah, He hadn't been kind enough.

" Okay-okay! I'm gonna give each one of you guys an autograph," she agreed, letting the dumb side of her brain take charge.

"Just line up like obedient kids in kindergarten. Yeah... That's more like it..."
She pretended to smile as they sort of arranged themselves in three straight lines overflowing onto the road. Traffic had long been held up in honor of Isla.

"I'm hungry Mama!" One kid howled in the front lines.

"Shut up," Isla reprimanded him sternly.

"I want ice cream! Me want ice cream! Mama give me ice... "

And then the mad side of her brain took over from the dumb side. She whacked the boy across his cheek, stinging his soft skin. His ears rang out loud like a church bell on a wedding
morning, stars sparkling in his sky. He released the wail of a siren, the sharp, shrill sound slicing the silence.

"I said you should shut your stupid mouth up!" She raged.

Unluckily, she wasn't the only one screaming. The mama who didn't think she should have sense to cater for her child sprang into action.

"Keep your hands off my son, bitch! Or I'm gonna gouge out your eyes and use it for barbecue sauce!"

Someone dialed 911. Another someone ushered the boy into his mother's arms, shushing her down. The police announced their presence with blinking red and blue lights and wailing sirens, quieting the mob which had formed. Cuffing Isla, they pushed her through the dense crowd to their black SUV. The video was taken, trimmed to the last ten minutes and posted on YouTube and Instagram, under #islaxcraig.

Might have another three million views...

•••••
•••
••

PS: let's assume that Jaden is STILL dating Sydney. 😋