Chapter Ten

Beca's boots were tapping restlessly on the ground beside Maddy and Rhydian. Her hands were clenched into fists as her eyes kept darting towards the clock that's hands were nearing eight. She had never felt so uneasy as the full moon neared the sky. The haunted story being told wasn't being absorbed by her brain accurately.
        Finally they got released to bed, and the three started their plan to escape the hotel. Beca was already out of the front door and running towards the end of the village when a hand got hers and pulled her back.
        Callie was standing there. "Where are you going?"
        Beca narrowed her eyes, suppressing the need to growl. "I thought you didn't want anything to do with me?" She said between heavy breaths.
        "I don't want to see you get hurt. Did you not hear the horror stories that Jeffries was spewing?" Callie asked, not releasing her grip even in the slightest for Beca to pull away. She saw Rhydian and Maddy sneak out of another door and neither were looking in her direction.
        "You actually believe that?"
        "No, but I know you well enough to want to go and see what's up."
        Beca scoffed. "That's not why you're here, Callie."
        Her hard composure fell and she looked to the ground. "I just want the truth, Beca. That's all I ask."
        Getting frustrated and feeling her veins creep up, she tried to yank her hand away, but to no avail. "Don't you get it, Callie?" She shouted, gaining Rhydian and Maddy's attention. "I can't tell you the truth! You don't think I would've if I could by now?"
        The moon was half above the horizon by now and illuminating Beca's skin enough to see the veins pulsing darkly underneath the skin of her arms.
        "Why can't you?" Callie asked, shouting just as loudly now.
        Beca finally succeeded in pulling herself away, but she didn't move from her spot. "Why can't you just let it go? I'm done being your friend, I'm not going to be anything more! Accept that!"
        "I'm not just going to let you go, Rebecca."
        The use of her full name made her see red, and she wanted to lash out. She would have lashed out at Callie if Rhydian didn't grab her arm, forcing her to leave. She snapped out of her violent haze and turned around, running with him and meeting Maddy just meters ahead.
        They raced away and finally stopped once the three realized they would turn involuntarily if they waited any longer, which Emma had explained was a very painful experience.
        Rhydian explained to them what was going to happen for the most part, then left everything else to instinct. Beca knew as soon as she faced the full moon that was hanging low over the water around Lindisfarne that she was transforming tonight. She welcomed the tingling feeling that the bright light brought out across her skin and leaned down to her hands and knees, feeling her bones shift into an unfamiliar place.
        It felt odd, but not uncomfortable as hair sprouted when there hadn't been any previously and her mouth shifted into a snout. She gave a whine out to test if she was completely changed, and turned to face the other two Wolfbloods who had been beside her.
        Rhydian was still as beautiful as the first time she'd seen him, white coat specked with darker shades of blonde and a brown shell on his back. Though he seemed taller to her now than he had when she was human. Maddy was next to him, brown coat with white undertones that reflected the full moon's light. She was just centimeters smaller than Beca, sleek and stunning.
        Rhydian pushed into Beca's shoulder with his snout, then did the same to Maddy before turning and running away, his white tail flowing behind him. Beca let out a playful yip and ran after him, Maddy beside her. They found their way to the ruins of Lindisfarne with a steady wind blowing off from the shore.
        They took turns chasing each other around the corridors. Beca was looking for Maddy, who had taken a turn and ran out of sight heartbeats before. Too familiar voices rang out through the lime kilns and Maddy suddenly darted back and straight into Beca. Beca let out an aggravated bark but the recognition of Shannon's voice caused her to run out as fast as she could, heart pulsing faster than she thought possible.
        "What do you think knocked us over, Shann?" Tom's voice echoed through the lime kilns as the three wolves made their way out.
        "Maddy."
        Beca and Maddy shared a worried look as they ran off.