Chapter 31 - The First Steps of the Dance

Start from the beginning

“It’s not just that.”  Alexander’s face turned guilty.  “Do you remember how I said I was keeping time with you?  Ensuring we spent the same number of days apart?”

Sophia bit her lip.  “It’s been about two weeks since Monaco for me.”

“It’s...well, it’s been four months since I’ve seen you.  I’m sorry.”

Sophia breathed out, shaking a little.  “You could have said a year.  That’s okay.”

“No it’s not.  You don’t have to be polite.  I went back to my worst instincts.  I ran away.”

They stared out of the window for a little longer.

“I couldn’t have said a year,” he said.  “I’d have missed you far too much for that.  I missed you every day of those months.”

He lifted her hand and kissed it.  They carried on staring.

“What are we going to do tonight, then?” said Sophia.

Alexander took his time.  “If you wish it, I will explain to you everything.”

“If I wish it?”

“Please don’t think I’m still trying to hide it, that I’m longing for you to say you don’t want to know.  But we must speak first.  It will...I feel that things will change, once you know.  We need to talk about where we stand.”

Sophia could feel his hand shivering in her own.

“It’s not that I’m afraid,” he said vehemently.  “I’m not scared of this.  It’s like when you move on to something new.  You could be completely certain that the future will be wonderful, that this is right and good.  But the old world will be utterly consumed.  No turning back.”

“You know,” she said, “You could sound a little less ominous.”

She wondered if she had overstepped the mark, but then Alexander laughed a little.  She joined in.

“Shall we go?” said Alexander.

“Where?  I’m not dressed for it.”

“Don’t worry.  They won’t see us.  I don’t want to dress up, not this time.”

She was nervous for a moment, stood in her nightwear, but as Alexander led her towards the doors, she felt more at ease.

“Besides,” he said, “You look quite good as you are.”

Sophia tried to smile, but couldn’t.  They passed through the doors.

*

She didn’t know what she was expecting.  More mystical twilight, perhaps, or something faintly sinister.

Instead, they passed into a brightly lit, fabulously decorated corridor of some stately mansion.  The furniture was made of deep brown woods and richly gilded, and the thick carpets, glistening chandeliers, and immaculate architectural flourishes on the walls and ceiling were of a similar calibre.  Added to this were great ribbons of silk hanging between the windows, fresh, sweet-smelling flowers in every vase, and the sound of a string quartet in some nearby chamber.  A Union Jack hung in a great display alongside other flags that Sophia did not recognise – a black eagle on white, and a black and yellow stripe.

“Where are we?” asked Sophia.

“The most famous ball in history.”

“Is this where...”

Sophia squeaked and leapt back: two red-jacketed officers were approaching, and her nightie suddenly seemed outrageous.

“Don’t worry,” said Alexander.  “We’re invisible to them.  Hello there!”