16

Clay's POV

Clay's bow groaned slightly as he pulled it back farther, aiming at the guard who was holding the Prince. His arm quivered with the tension of the bow. Clay's head spun as he swayed in the tree.

"What? Why would you want to do that?!" George shouted.

His frantic voice made Clay think of when Sapnap died. He squeezed his eyes closed. I can't lose George too. Clay returned his gaze to the guard holding George, watching for any movement. I should shoot now, before it's too late. Sweat slid down Clay's back as he ransacked his brain for more options.

"Emberfall has remained at peace for too long. L'manberg has had enough," Princess Nihachu said coldly.

"You're going to kill me and my father because we're at peace?!" George hysterically. "That's insane!"

"Well.. and your brothers, but do they really count?"

"They're fifteen!"

The Princess shrugged. "We want Emberfall's land and soldiers. Your father just has them sitting there for nothing. L'manberg will use your resources to expand our lands and take over more regions."

George looked at the Princess as if she was crazy, and she was. She said everything so simply with no emotion. George leaned forward to speak. The guard holding him dug his blade into the Prince's neck slightly. Red liquid dripped down George's throat and he gasped. Clay pulled his bow string tighter.

"Stop this madness!" George shouted to the Princess.

"No... your father is probably dead by now and hopefully your brothers are too. Soon you will be."

"No," George's voice cracked, "don't hurt them."

"It's not up to me, that's my father's job. However, I wanted to be the one to kill you."

Clay couldn't see the Princess's face, but he assumed she was smiling in victory.

"The plan was simple, really," she continued, "The only thing that slowed us down was your guard, Dream..." she paused. "We sent a spy in days before our visit and you'll never guess what he reported back to us."

George paled. "What?" He asked in defeat, but Clay knew he already knew the answer.

The Princess's face came into Clay's vision. She was smirking.

"Apparently you two have gotten close... closer than what should be allowed between a prince and his guard." she chuckled lowly. "Naughty naughty little prince. I almost didn't believe our informant when he told us of what happened in the market.

"However, I fully believed him when I saw how you treated me when we first met. I saw you lean closer to your strong guard and glare at me." The Princess clicked her tongue. "That posed a larger problem for us. You see, if you and Dream were... close... then he would be more inclined to protect you than risk his life.

"We had a plan to take him out, but you dismissed him from being your guard! How stupid was that! Do you regret your decision at all, little prince?" she asked, taunting George.

George swallowed, the sword still pressed to his throat. He didn't respond.

Princess Nihachu huffed in annoyance. "Anyways, we were going to poison your guard through his food," she grinned wickedly at George's fearful expression, "He ate it, although we didn't need him too. Dream's probably dead in his bed right now."

"No." George's voice cracked. A tear fell down his cheek, mixing with his guard's dried blood.

The Princess laughed. "Now you cry?! For your old guard?" She tsked. "What a shame you didn't get to see him for one last time..." she looked at the dead guard on the ground. "How stupid of your father to assign you a lesser guard! He didn't even stand a chance!" She frowned. "I suppose it would've been more exciting if he was the one to die in front of you, but it's too late now."