11

Clay's POV

He let that thought sink in as the Prince slept. Clay had never been in love before, but he assumed this was what it felt like. He scolded himself. You can't fall for the Prince! Clay paused, he actually couldn't fall for the Prince. He could tell that Prince George seemed to like him as well, but it just wouldn't work.

Not only was Clay a guard, but George was a Prince. A Prince who could secure an alliance for Emberfall. Let alone the fact that a male and male relationship would not be accepted into society. Sure, Bad and Skeppy were together, but he doubted the citizens or Emberfall would accept the Prince. Prince George also needed to provide the kingdom with an heir.

Clay let out a frustrated sigh. He needed to dispose of his feelings for George— Prince George.

Geo— the Prince stirred in his sleep. He nuzzled his head into Clay's chest, making Clay's stomach flutter. No, stop. You can't feel like this. He bit his cheek to distract himself, but George was making it difficult.

The two fit together like a glove. They practically melted into one. It was hard to tell where one of their limbs began and the other ended. Clay, being taller, cradled George against him.

George murmured softly into Clay's chest and Clay realized the Prince was awake.

"What was that?" Clay whispered.

"You're so comfy," George mumbled.

Clay barely heard it, but he smiled. "You are too," he murmured back. "How are you feeling?"

"Better."

"I'm glad," Clay whispered honestly.

"Can we stay like this forever?"

Clay chuckled. "I wish."

"What time is it?" George asked, his head still buried in Clay's chest.

Clay looked out the window. "Shortly before dinner."

He was surprised, the time had flown.

"Ugh. I don't want tomorrow to come."

Clay didn't respond. This prompted George to pull away from Clay's chest. They looked at each other.

"Why can't you be a princess from a faraway kingdom?" George pouted.

Clay let out a surprised laugh, which turned into a wheeze.

George looked at him incredulously. "That's your laugh?!"

Clay grinned in response.

"I love it." George said in awe.

Clay's heart warmed. He unthinkingly pressed his lips to George's forehead. George looked at him with wide eyes as Clay pulled away. Clay realized his mistake.

"S-sorry. I shouldn't have done that," Clay said quickly. "My apologies." He started to untangle their legs.

George brought his hand to Clay's cheek, making him stop. He looked at George. George was looking at his lips.