Chapter Two

Sometimes it was lonely in the Spirit World. Every single one of the Spirits had their jobs to do, meaning she was stuck by herself most of the time. When the Moon wasn't up in the sky, she would remain in the in-between plane that separated the Spirit World and the Human World from each other, just watching the little humans live their lives down below her. She rarely spoke to anyone other than herself and the humans, but she didn't mind. She liked being alone most of the time. Other times, it was quite lonely being alone. She wouldn't admit that to anyone, though. She didn't want them to know that she missed their company.

Some time had passed since the end of the Hundreds' Year War, and the whole world had finally found peace. Some rifts were still being repaired between certain people, but everyone was happy and filled with love. It took a long time, but they had figured out how to survive in harmony with each other. For the first time in forever, the humans were happy, just like they were designed to be.

It filled her soul with light and joy at the sight of the humans finally finding peace. Love poured over the edges of her very being, and that love was sent down to the humans below through her shining light from the Moon. She watched as the people -- her people -- rejoiced and celebrated the love and joy they felt. Their celebrations lasted day and night, and during the night, she made sure to shine extra bright for them. They deserved to be this happy after so much fighting and war. They deserved everything they were getting now.

During the daytime celebrations, she noticed that the Sun Spirit wasn't as excited as she was. He shone bright, sure, but there was a wary look on his face at all times. Something had changed in him lately; when they first met, he was happy and full of light. Now, not so much. Maybe he felt like those celebrations were too soon, that something bad was going to happen again. That was how she felt at the beginning but not anymore. She saw how everyone was trying their hardest to be good, so she blessed them because of it. He should have done the same for the people during the day; he should have been grateful. He should have done a lot of things, but she couldn't force him to do anything. She couldn't force anyone to do anything, no matter how hard she tried.

Anyway, the two of them hadn't spoken since the last Eclipse. They hadn't even been in each other's presence since then, either. She could see him from afar, but she couldn't be with him at all. Each time she got close, she was burned and torn away from him. Nothing she did would work. She couldn't get to him at all. He didn't seem to even notice her struggles, though; he seemed oblivious to her advances. But, he had sounded so happy to be near her at the Eclipse. What had changed since then? Did he not believe in her, that she would find a way to be with him? Or did he resign himself to a lonely life atop the Sun? Whatever the reason was, it confused her immensely. She was sure they had a connection, but maybe she was imagining things. It wouldn't be the first time she imagined things, and it probably wouldn't be the last time.

Tearing her gaze from the Sun Spirit, she looked back down at the Earth. More time had passed as she was staring at him, and there was a smaller celebration going on at the Southern Water Tribe. Though it was small, she could feel the happy emotions flowing up to her from down there. Her heart broke in her chest at the sight of the celebration down there. Her first and only human love, Sokka, was getting married today. 

Right as she thought that, a tremor went through her whole body. Her soul shattered into many different pieces, spreading out around her. A deep sense of sadness pervaded her body at the thought of him getting married to someone else. Just as quickly as the shards of her soul separated, they came back together. She didn't feel the same, though. There was a piece of her soul missing now, the piece that held onto Sokka and his life. She was done watching him now. He was the only thing that tied her to her Human side, and now it was gone. She wasn't Yue anymore; there wasn't a reason why she should be tied to him now.