☞Bring 'em in

"Good morning stepfather." You tease Mouch as you walk into the spacious common room. You hear him let out the biggest groan at your words and you can't help but laugh at him.

"I can't believe you're her step dad," Herrmann snickered at the table.

"Trudy didn't choose who her kid is going to be." Mouch tells him.

"That was a low blow Mouch!" Kelly tells him and the rest agree.

"You two do realise that you could have gotten married together. Merge the costs!" Otis pipes in.

"Yeah and gotten married together at Molly's?" You ask and look at Herrmann. "No offense."

"None taken but Otis is right!" Herrmann fought.

"For your information Connor and I want to get married in a church and have a reception." You tell them while mentally swiping through your binders filled with wedding ideas. "Also I don't think we could've pulled off what Mouch and my mom did."

A round of applause erupts after that. While the bickering continues you make your way over to Gabby and Casey who are sitting together at the table. You ogle the fruit bowl in front of Gabby. "That looks delicious." You comment and take a seat.

"Do you want some? I'll go get you some." She suggests. With pleading eyes you ask her if she doesn't mind but she tells you to sit still until she comes back.

With her out of the sight you grab her fork and stab some fruit onto it. When you notice Matt staring at you, you ask "What?"

"I thought you didn't like kiwi." He comments, remembering the times when you used to pick at your fruit salat until all of the kiwis were out.

Weirdly enough, you were craving kiwis today. A wish for kiwis never comes up in your mind. Never. "I thought so too."

"Ambulance 61, truck 81, squad 3. House fire. 55th York Avenue."

"I guess you and kiwis weren't meant to be after all." With that Matt and you stride out of the common room with Gabby behind you.

***

"Holy shit." You take a deep breath once you're met with the hot air around the burning house. Everything seemed to bother you suddenly and your stomach started to do flips.

"Y/LN grab the hose! Let's go!" Matt instructs and you move your legs to do your job and help. With jiggly legs and a heavy stomach you make your way towards the group of men.

"Hey Y/LN you alright?" Kelly comes up to you. He places his hand onto your shoulder and takes a good look at you. "You don't look okay. Sit this one out."

You shake your head and fix your helmet. "I'm alright." You felt like you had the most terrible hangover of all time. You were nauseous and liable to vomit at the slightest provocation.

Like now.

It pushes through and makes you take off your helmet immediately and duck somewhere to empty your guts out. This never happened. Ever.

Soon enough Boden is next to you making sure you're somewhat okay. It's now 100% sure that you're sitting this one out.

"I... Don't feel so good."

And with that you collapse on the ground.

***

"Could it be food poisoning?" Gabby asks Natalie. When you were rushed into the ED followed by a bunch of frightened firefighters everyone in the ED feared the worst.

Even though you weren't suffering from any harsh burns or lung problems it didn't ease Natalie's mind at all, especially when your boyfriend was in the middle of operating.