006. . . needle to flesh

Start from the beginning

So why did she go back to war?

The grin from the older man's face lowered as he saw the spaced-out look on the young woman. "Mulan dear?. . . Mulan?" Dr. Erskine asked concern lacing his voice.

With furrowed brows, Mulan snapped her head up and sniffled before wiping a hand down her face, "Oh um, sorry yes I- I zoned out there for a second but um, my honest answer is I just didn't want to be alone. I saw what war could do to someone and when Bucky got accepted a part of me went with him and then Steve got accepted and I just, just didn't want to be alone. And I thought maybe I could find them and then they won't have to be alone. I guess. I've had enough of that to last me lifetimes and it doesn't taste sweet." She answered with a small grin and shake of her head.

"Ah, I see. Loneliness can truly be a disease. You have a good spirit Mulan, not many could've gone through your struggles and come out victorious. You're very brilliant, and you actually use your head, unlike these boys they have running along out here. And, oh yes I almost forgot, next thing tomorrow I'm having you work with Agent Carter. It would be a shame to waste your skill and genius crawling through some mud with a gun." Dr. Erskine faintly joked. Mulan bounced on her heels in excitement and squealed, causing the doctor to lightly wince when she rushed over to hug him. He released a huff from the impact and smiled returning the embrace.

▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆

The next day Mulan had to wake up earlier than the recruits to pack her things and meet up with the Doctor to get her new role in the army base. Hauling the green army bag filled with her belongings over her shoulder, she walked to the other section of the camp. The room looked like an industrial office and already had people walking in and out at the early time. She nervously trailed her brown eyes around the place, taking in the surroundings, and set her bag down on the floor by the entry bench to wait for the man.

"There she is, good morning Mulan. This is Agent Carter as I told you the night before," Dr. Erskine greeted as he gestured to the British woman beside him, Mulan then stood up with a smile. "And Agent Carter this is Mulan Fa, she is the bright woman I've recruited to assist with you today and share your position." He finished with a grin.

"You flatter me doctor, but it's nice to meet you thank you for having me." Mulan thanked and moved to handshake Peggy.

"Oh it's truly nothing, besides if I were surrounded by these men any longer without womanly contact I would've started to pull my hair out. It's a pleasure meeting you as well." Peggy joked with a kind smile.

Dr. Erskine cleared his throat and added, "Anyways I will leave you two to get greeted before our procedure this morning. Carter, I assume you will introduce her to our surroundings here and get her in a proper uniform please."

"Yes, of course, Mulan you can follow me I'll lead the way." Peggy invited, and with that the two ladies continued their conversation and walked down the hall.

▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆

After Peggy explained the ropes of the base to Mulan and got her a matching uniform and credentials, she, Steve, and Mulan gathered into a car to head to his procedure.  The trio sat quietly as the soldier escorted them and drove past a group of boys playing baseball when Steve realized, "I know this neighborhood, I got beat up in that ally," He pointed out, "And that parking lot," he looked down, "then behind that dinner."

"Oh, I remember that parking lot fight you actually did a good job there, I was proud!" Mulan gushed as she turned around from the front seat to face the blonde, it caused him to lightly grin.