Choice

The Boiling Rock

Sokka, Zuko, Hadoka, and Chit Sang watch as Azula and Ty Lee approach using the gondola lines.

"Uh, guys, they're catching up!" Sokka shouts in dismay.

"Good, I've been itching for some payback," Suki says.

"As have I," Zuko adds.

With a nod, all three climb atop the cart. Moments later, Azula and Ty Lee attack the gondola. Azula fires short, quick bursts of blue fire, which Zuko disperses. Taking advantage of her stance, Azula presses her attack, but is forced back as Sokka thrusts his jet-black sword, causing her to dodge and balance herself on the edge of the gondola before flipping back and sending a horizontal flame attack. Zuko and Sokka dodge, while Ty Lee catches Suki off guard, delivering a chi-blocking strike to her arm. Suki flips back, kicking Ty Lee and causing her to stumble.

"Cut the line!" the warden yells.

The gondola shakes as the guards begin to sever the line.

"Azula, they're cutting the line!" Ty Lee says, alarmed.

"Well, Zuzu, it seems our chat is at an end," Azula smirks, propelling herself onto an oncoming cart using her firebending.

Ty Lee winks before backflipping onto the other cart with Azula. Mai, noticing the turn in Azula's favor and the gondola line being cut, is flooded with visions of Zuko in peril. Her heart tightens; she grips the stiletto hidden in her sleeve, wanting to save him. Yet, as she hesitates, overwhelmed by fear of Azula's retaliation, the sound of snapping metal decides for her. Shock and regret fill her as she watches the gondola swing towards the boiling lake.

"Guys!? What do we do!?" Sokka shouts.

"Climb!" Zuko responds, grabbing the metal line and extending his hand to Suki.

Sokka attempts to grab the line but falls short. As despair engulfs him, he feels a push from behind and looks back to see his father, Hadoka, falling towards the boiling lake.

"Take care of your sister," Hadoka says with a smile.

"DAD!" Sokka screams as he watches Hadoka fall into the lake.

"Don't look, Sokka!" Suki shouts.

The screams of the warden, Chit Sang, and Hadoka echo across the crater, accompanied by Sokka's wails.

"Dammit, you're not getting away!" Azula shouts, using a pair of cuffs to propel herself closer to them.

The broken line swings and slams into the crater's side. Zuko, Suki, and Sokka climb up, while Azula, using her momentum, flips onto the line. She takes a stance and begins to generate lightning, pointing at Zuko as he climbs the crater's edge. Flashes of their childhood together momentarily soften her resolve. She diverts the lightning towards Sokka instead.

In an instant, the lightning crackles and strikes Sokka in the back as he reaches for Suki's hand. As he starts to lose consciousness, his vision tunnels.

Azula exhales sharply, but as she tries to steady herself, she slips. Ty Lee grabs her hand just in time, preventing her fall.

"That was close! Should we chase after them?" Ty Lee asks, pointing at Zuko and Suki pulling Sokka's body up.

"No. Generating that large bolt drained almost all my chi. Besides, fighting just the two of us would be disadvantageous," Azula responds.

Mai sighs in relief as she watches Zuko escape.

"Please just hide and don't come back," she murmurs to herself, struggling with a torrent of emotions. Love for Zuko surges, but fear of Azula's punishment suppresses it.

"Mai, snap out of it; we're leaving," Azula commands, flicking her finger for Mai to follow.

"Right... Just tired," Mai replies in her usual lethargic tone.

"Same! Mai, are you okay? The warden was your uncle," Ty Lee asks.

"Yeah, we weren't that close," Mai responds.

"Good. He was a failure and would've been executed anyway," Azula says coldly.

"Yeah, it feels like I'm the only one in my family who's not a disappointment," Mai adds half-heartedly.

Ty Lee gives Mai's hand a kind squeeze. Azula, leading the way to the warden's office, doesn't look back.

"Haha! You're completely right, Mai! After the

war, I'll make sure you're rewarded," Azula declares, stopping to gaze into their eyes.

"It goes without saying, but thank you for being useful. I'll always remember your efforts," she says, her smile masking her true feelings.

"Of course, Azula! Next time, we'll capture all of them!" Ty Lee says cheerfully.

"Yeah... go team," Mai mutters, raising her fist weakly in a semblance of celebration.

"So, Azula, where to next?" Ty Lee asks.

"Home. Father is moving forward with my plan to burn Ba Sing Se to the ground as an example to the other nations," Azula says gleefully.