Chapter 9: Victory by What Price

Months pass since Sokovia, Clint retires from the team, Tony left the team as everyone gathered at Avenger Compound. Restarting everything from scratch. Steve was still in mourning at the loss of his sister. But he stayed strong for her.

He and Tony walk with Thor as they were still going over the old banter. "The rules have changed." Steve states "We're dealing with something new." Tony informs them. "Oh, the Vision is artificial intelligence. A machine. So, does it count?" Steve asks them.

Tony shook his head at him, "No, it's not like a person lifting the hammer." he states, Steve points at him, "Right, different rules for us." he agrees with him. "Nice guy. Artificial." Tony said with him. "Thank you," Steve said with a smile. "He can wield the hammer, he can keep the Mine Stone." Thor states as he stops and looks at them. "It's safe with the Vision. And these days, safe is in short supply," he informs them.

Steve nods, "But if you put the hammer in an elevator..." he states, "It will still go up." Tony informs him, "Elevator's not worthy." Steve sang to himself. Thor just smiles at them. "I'm gonna these little talk of ours," Thor said as he places his hand on Tony's shoulder. "Not if you don't leave," he tells him.

But Thor pulls his hand away "I have no choice." he tells them and they walk "The Mine Stone is the fourth of the Infinity Stones to show up in the last few years. It's not a coincidence." he informs them.

They step outside as the recruits were training "Someone has been playing an intrice game and has made pawns of us." he said as Tony places on his shades. "And once all these pieces are in positions..." Thor states, "Triple Yahtzee." Tony states, knowing it will be bad. "You think you can find out what's coming?" Steve asks him. "I do." Thor answers then look at Tony. "Besides this one," he said, patting his chest and steps forward. "There's nothing that can't be explained," he states, then turns to them.

And with a nod, he raised his hammer, the Bifrost open, and took Thor from Midgard. And once it closes, it left a mark on the lawn. The two just look at the marks. "That man has no regard from lawn maintenance." Tony states. Then they both turn away from the marks "I'm gonna miss him though." he admits. "And you're gonna miss me," Steve said to him.

Tony grins, "There's gonna be a lot of manful tears." he said and presses the button on his key control and his car drove up to him. "I will miss you, Tony," Steve tells him. "Yeah? Well, it's time for me to tap out. Maybe I should take a page out of Barton's book. Build Pepper a farm, hope nobody blows it up." Tony states as they both stop next to the car.

Steve smiles at him, "The smile life." he said, folding his hands at his belt, "You'll get that one day." Tony tells him and Steve just looks away, "I don't know. Family, stability... The guy who wanted all that went in the ice 75 years ago. Along with his sister." he states.

Tony looks away as losing Millie was still hurting him, "I think someone else came out." Steve tells him as he looks back and Tony looks back at him, "I'm sorry about Millie, I really am." he said to him, Steve just nods at him. Tony turns to his car and opens the door. "Are you all right?" he asks him.

The shouting soldiers got his attention and he looks out at the Compound "I'm home." he answers him. "You know what I mean," Tony said to him and Steve just sighs. "I'm in pain. I lost my sister, the only family I had left. And now... life seems a lot darker than before." he answers him.

Tony looks at him and nods, "You think she survived?" he asks, Steve looks away, "There was nothing left of the rubble after whatever turn it into water and show. Not even a body. So I'm not sure." he answers and looks back at him.

~8~8~8~

Natasha stood in the compound, looking down at a picture of Millie and Nat at one of Tony's parties. She sniffles and wipes her tears away. Millie being gone... it was hard.