sixteen.

"Good morning, fatman," she cooed to her brother, changing him as he rubbed his eye

"Good morning, fatman," she cooed to her brother, changing him as he rubbed his eye. Today was the 20th, five days before Christmas, and already a week and a half into their break. She had slept so much, it was refreshing. No work, no twin XL—she was living her best life for the last few days.

Her younger siblings were now on winter break too, so the full house was back. Currently, Semaja was making the little ones breakfast, because they decided to wake up at 9:45. She heard Ty over the monitor, and he was starting to get up so she figured she'd just change him now.

"You hungry, Ty?" she asked, setting him on the ground at the bottom of the steps and allowing him to crawl wherever his heart desired. He maneuvered into the kitchen, pulling at Semaja's pajamas.

"I'm busy, sir," she chuckled. "Here, bacon," she broke a tiny piece off and gave it to him, he simply crawled away satisfied.

She shook her head at his greediness and for the first time since she woke up she checked her phone.

baeja🌸: me and trae had a facetime date. im crying.
: bitch 🥺 that's so damn cute
jeli: my stink stinks 🥺 tell us all about it

Kari pouted at her screen, Trae was really perfect for Aja, he was so sweet and considerate to her, he went out of his way to make her feel special and she wasn't even his girlfriend yet. She could only imagine how the pampering would continue once he asked.

Glancing over, she noticed Tyree sitting in front of the Christmas tree, just staring while working on his bacon, and she smiled, he was growing up very fast and she wasn't at all prepared to see him start talking.

Soon, Siarah came and sat by him, asking him random questions and listening while he babbled out a response. She was a good big sister—their age gap wasn't big, so they could be like little besties when Tyree wasn't being clingy with his elder sisters.

After everyone ate, it was only 10:45, so Kari checked her phone again, seeing Khi hadn't texted her yet. Usually, by now he'd have sent her some cute good morning text telling her to open the door.

She thought he was still sleeping, but she also knew he never slept in past 10, even on vacation, unlike her, so she started to get concerned. She decided to call him, just to be sure.

"Hello?" she said, once the FaceTime went through. "Khi?"

"Hey," he smiled shortly before it fell.

"You okay Bubba?" she furrowed her eyebrows, as he was still sitting in very dim light—at eleven in the morning. "What's the matter?"

"I don't know," he shrugged a bit. "Just...feeling out of it a little,"

"You need me to come over?" she offered.

"You're watching the kids," he pointed out.

"Semaja is awake. I'm coming now, Pop. I'm gonna bring you a waffle and some bacon okay?" she stood up, rushing around to do just that. "It's chocolate chip," she added. She knew he probably hadn't moved an inch since he woke up.