thirteen.

"That hoe cute," Kari mumbled to herself, scrolling on pinterest trying to make her Christmas list

"That hoe cute," Kari mumbled to herself, scrolling on pinterest trying to make her Christmas list. She was not trying to break anyone's bank, so she usually kept her list pretty simple, and her parents were able to get her everything she wanted.

She was back at school now, and just as she thought, Amber didn't tell anyone Sakari tagged her right before break. She'd seen her twice since then, and each time she was tempted to drag her into the street and fight again, but this time she really might get kicked out, so she decided against it.

Honestly, she was shocked that nobody told what they saw that day, because Khi was right, there were still some people in their dorms right where the fight happened. She was extremely lucky nobody recorded that, and if they did it was not posted.

"Kari, what you want for Christmas mama?" Jelani asked, opening her laptop. "I gotta start shopping now, last minute shopping makes me nervous," she chuckled. It was December 1st now, they'd been back on campus for about three days.

"Um, I'm not sure," she said honestly. 

"I'll think of something," she said. "Don't try to give me no limit, leave me alone," she chuckled as soon as Kari opened her mouth.

"I didn't even say anything," she giggled. "Don't go crazy, girl,"

"I won't, I won't," she waved her off. "How's Khi?" she asked, glancing over at Kari momentarily.

"Um...okay. He's at practice, which is good. I thought he wouldn't go back," she spoke. "I haven't talked to him since this morning though, Trae told me he came, I had to check,"

"You're such a good friend," she smiled gently. "What would that boy do without you?"

"Oh please," she laughed. "I mean he does the same thing to me sometimes, just not as publicly—you know how I'm anemic? Bitch I forgot to take my iron one time and the nigga lost his shit, like I was gonna die or something," she shook her head, making Jelani laugh.

"Oh! And I have a few things I'm allergic to, so like he never told me this but I saw it once, he keeps and EpiPen in his car. I was getting itchy from something in a restaurant we were at with our parents and I think I was like 17? This man runs to the car and was definitely about to stick me," she chuckled.

"Over some scratches?!" Jeli bursted into laughter.

"Yeah, he swore my throat was about to close next," she chuckled.

"Nah y'all are adorable," she shook her head. "It's very sickening. If everything was different I'd be on your ass about that bet," she pointed.

"Well...it's still on, right?" she wondered.

"It is?! I thought because of everything—well...if you still wanna tell him," she sputtered, slightly confused.

"I do," Kari nodded. "I-I think I have to now. For me. I know he's been through hell lately—and of course I'm here to support him through that, but I don't see why I shouldn't? Would it make everything worse?" she genuinely asked not only Jelani but herself.