eight.

"Whatchu in here doing?" Mekhi heard Trae ask as he walked in the door

"Whatchu in here doing?" Mekhi heard Trae ask as he walked in the door. "Studying?"

"Nah, I just finished," he sighed. He was annoyed that he had to take so many breaks but he literally couldn't himself to do that for an hour. Midterms were very soon, as October was slowly drawing to a close.

He loved his major and was very passionate about the career he chose, which he thought made it a little easier to push through and focus hard. In high school he was in denial—in middle school he ignored it and almost flunked himself out, but talking with his mother really helped, especially after the ninth grade, he felt like he could conquer anything after that, then college hit.

"Why you look so mad? I hate studying, I'd be glad to be done," Trae chuckled.

"I just wish I could get more done today," he shrugged.

"Oh yeah, you do get distracted hella easy. You ever wonder why that is?" he asked. Khi could tell he was being genuine and not making fun. Usually he would jokingly tease, but now he could tell Trae was seriously asking.

"Oh, um," he began, hesitating slightly. It wasn't like he was ashamed, he just hated to he judged treated as if he needed some type of sympathy like his middle school teachers used to do. "I have ADHD," he finally explained.

"For real? My lil brother has ADHD too," Trae nodded. "How come you never said nothing? You let me make fun of you and shit, I ain't mean to—"

"It's straight," Khi cut him off. "I let you make fun of me cuz what you be saying is true. I can't focus for shit, it takes a lot. I do zone and get distracted easily, that's the truth," he shrugged.

"Okay yeah, but you can't help that, and you shouldn't let nobody poke fun because you try and I see it. Nobody including me," he said sternly. "My brother gets shit from his teachers, and his classmates, I hate that shit," he shook his head.

Khi didn't know what to say. He was used to just letting people make their observations about his behavior and his lack of focus, the only other person who had given him this speech was Sakari. She hated when people made fun of him.

"Look bruh, I'on wanna tell you what to do. Just don't let nobody make you feel uncomfortable," he said and Khi nodded in understanding. "When'd you get diagnosed? My brother did when he was 9,"

"Hell I wish," he chuckled. "I didn't really struggle much till middle school. I got diagnosed at 13. In elementary I was hella shy and followed behind Tootie all day, I wasn't really hyperactive until I got older, but I always struggled with being attentive and remembering—that's why my mama bought me that big ass chalkboard calendar," he pointed and it made sense to Trae.

"The doctors say it's like three types, I lean more toward the inattentive and distractible type. They said my only symptoms of hyperactivity were like the fact that I ramble a lot, I used to always be moving too—like fidgeting. I'm doing it now," he chuckled, stopping himself. "I easily lost things, and it was real hard for me to finish one task, I'd start like three things at once and it's hard to finish any of them," he explained further.