Izuku snaps

Everyone from class 1-A was excited. It was no ordinary day, in fact it was a good day because they got to celebrate. It was bakugou's birthday and even if the boy himself wasn't over the moon the rest of the class were.

For weeks the class had been led by Midoriya to plan the perfect party. It was Midoriya's knowledge on the boy that helped him to create a tailored evening full of the things the spiky red eyed boy loves most. Spicy curry, red velvet cake, pop top soda, you name it Izuku had thought and planned it.

And it was perfect. Izuku stood that afternoon gazing at his hard work while Bakugou was distracted by his squad. The class all praised the boy for his hard work and help, knowing it wouldn't be half as good without him. Izuku could only hope his efforts would be noticed or at leased appreciated. Even if it wasn't directly just hearing the blond voice his opinion would be enough, as long as it was positive.

So the evening rolls around and they are all sat in the common room smiling and laughing, except todoroki who was in his room not fond of gatherings.

The angry blond sat in the middle of it all, a small smile tugging at the corner of his mouth. Next to him the jolly red head grins arm slung over the boys shoulder. The two seemed to be enjoying the night and it boosted the mood of the room. Everyone else was sat dotted around the main two, all chatted and enjoying the night. Dinner had been a success and so had the cake that followed. Unlike the cake Midoriya had made and perfected Aunti mitsuki's spicy curry recipe. The same one from Bakugou's childhood. It was all done especially for the blond. And although he hadn't heard anything expressively good about it, he hadn't heard insults. So he'll take the win.

He has to admit it's a bittersweet moment he managed to capture. Having subtly taken a photo of the rare moment that the bakugou Katsuki had smiled. Izuku looks fondly down at the screen of his phone, letting the dull ache of his heart grow into a sharp stabbing pain. He could feel tears that threatened to form as his mind helplessly wished that he too could sit next to the blond he admired so much.

Would he ever be able to smile at the boy without him going crazy? Could be reach out and be accepted? Would he ever be able to stand equal with him out in the field.  Could he one day come to tease the boy? Call him his friend?

He sends the photo to his mother and aunt stopping his wishing knowing they are never coming true. Why does he still wait? Why does he stand back and take it?

It's a question unknown to him as well. He shakes his head writing out a short message under the photo.
Celebrating the big day with smiles here.

Even if he wasn't being totally true, he didn't need to bring anyone down on a day that's supposed to be happy. He can't make the day about him. But he knows from the fact he's not in the photo that his mother and aunt will already know his feelings. It's not really a secret, he never intended for it to be. Izuku has always spoken his mind, and the two mothers have the knowledge to piece it together, they are mothers after all.

And Izuku was a lot of things but selfish wasn't one of them, weak, useless, freak, nerd, creep, quirkless, dadless, pointless, stalker, cry baby, annoying, pain in the ass, deku. But not ever was he called selfish. Not even by the bullies.

The more he stared at the class, more specifically at the self proclaimed bakusquad, and by more extension the two in the middle the more the nagging feeling of being out of place returned. He felt like the same boy pushed to the sidelines in middle school. Bakugou wouldn't smile if he was there. He wouldn't laugh if he made a comment. He wouldn't smirk if he wished him a happy birthday.

Ua was supposed to be his new start. He was supposed to make friends, train his quirk and learn from the amazing examples. So why is he here waisting his opportunity by repeating middle school. He isn't the same as back then. He has a quirk. Friends. A mentor. A teacher. A goal in life. So no more waisting time on something that will never change. It's time to start that new life he deserves.