Chapter One

• Dedicated to those of you who don't know that this is because of you.

It was slimy, like I had a party of eels swooshing around in my mouth, with a slight hint of tomato and some kind of mystery meat; the school's ravioli. Ick! I have no choice though, it's the ravioli and me in our own little corner of the lunch room, by ourselves, pathetic, I know. I guess I should explain. My name is Nico DiAngelo, and I was born with a birth defect, so I cannot move my legs, and therefore am in a wheel chair. In high school, this is like a big red X on your social life. Nobody ever talks to me, and if they do, it is out of complete pity. That is the worst part; I can't stand people always smiling at me with that hollow look behind their eyes, feeling so sorry for me. Really, my wheelchair doesn't bother me anymore; it is my way of being even a slightly normal child. I just want a normal life. Suddenly I was aware of the bell ringing signaling the end of the lunch period, and the entire room filing out of the cafeteria. I cleaned up my table, and said goodbye to the lunch ladies. After lunch all of the 12th years have physical education, but because of my condition, I don't have to participate or even show up. I also happen to have a free period for study after that today, so I think I will just leave now. As I wheel my way through the crowded stone streets, I try to ignore the stares and soak up the beauty of the city. I was moved to my new foster family three months ago, but this city still amazes me. This is the longest I have ever lasted at a foster home, but I am actually following the rules because I don't want to get moved out of Athens into some farm again. My foster parents are starting to think I actually like them, so I guess its time to break the rules again and refresh their memory. I stopped by a street vendor and bought some old stale bread and then headed down to the docks. I found my favorite spot, but had to push my way through as it was crowded with tourists. This pier extended out further into the bay than any of the others, so it was a popular place for pictures and such. What the tourists do not know is that this fancy, up kept pier is built on top of an older pier, so below is another deck. I wheeled myself down the small, steep ramp when no one was watching. I had to be careful of the areas where the boards were rotten, but as I turned to face the ocean, I was home. Here, in this place, I could be on my own. What I was really here to do was watch the birds. As I broke off the first crumbs of stale bread, the seagulls started to swarm. I threw the pieces into the air and watched them dive and swerve. They were so free, so graceful, and so...able to move. The sky was turning pink, and the earth rotating to hide the sun from us for awhile. The dark doesn't bother me, as it brings out some of my other friends, the moon and stars. I realize though that I should be heading home, I was due back at least three hours ago. I tell myself that someday I'll be able to fly, be as free and unrestricted as those birds. I know that will actually never happen for me. Even if scientists had some breakthrough that could make me walk again, I would never be able to afford it. I have virtually nothing to my name, except for possibly this hunk of aluminum I'm riding around on, and I'll never have a family or loved one to pay for me. Obviously my current foster parents were struggling as is. I was in the sketchy part of town now. I wheeled my way through as quickly as possible, turned down an ally and into my current residence. The house was nothing impressive by any means. It was a little stone building that kept out the wind and rain and a few of the rats. I wasn't going to complain, it was in Athens, that's all I wanted. As I went through the front room, Delfina, my foster "mother", came around the corner with a basket full of clothes in on one hip, and waving a wooden spoon in the air at me.             "Nico DiAngelo! I thought we went over this? You are supposed to come straight home after school! And then to make it worse, your father got a call at work from your principal, what's his name, Mr. Portocoulis. You are failing school Nico! Is that what you want? Do you want to live like this and..."

I let her continue, waving her spoon around, smacking it against something for emphasis once in awhile, pretending like I was listening. I'd heard it a thousand different times, from a thousand different people. Of course I was failing school. I hate school. Everyone acts as if I'm dumb and incapable anyway, so why not prove them right; I've had enough disappointment in my life. Finally she went back to stirring some translucent fluid on the stove that would soon be my supper, and folding some rich person's laundry.             "Nico. Nico! Are you even listening? What am I going to do with you son? I think you should just go on up to your room with out supper for the night and think about what you've done. Write an apology to Mr. Portocoulis while you are at it. You just wait until your father gets home!"

That was it; I just couldn't take it anymore. I've been putting up with this woman for three months, but no more, no more! "He's NOT my father, and you are NOT my mother, so lay off okay!" I backed out of the room and headed back out again.

I was back onto the street again before she even got out the words, "And where do you think you are going? We need to have a talk. How dare you speak to me like that! Nico. Nico! Come back!". Boy, does that woman have a set of lungs. I needed to get away, somewhere that I could think. The pier would be too slippery and dangerous this time of night so I headed up the hill. The burn felt good. My arms were getting a good workout. Exhausted, I eventually reached the top. There, outlined against the backdrop of the glowing moon sat the Parthenon. I sneaked, well as best as a person in a wheel chair can anyway, closer and closer until I was inside. The roof was missing in many places, so I could sit inside of the ancient building and look up to see the stars, and the glowing full moon. Tonight, it reminded me of a lightning bug, with its butt so bright, it just might be on the verge of exploding. The stars were twinkling, just like in the stories, almost as if they were teasing me. "Haha. We are up here looking down on all the places you will never go, being loved and cherished by billions."

One star caught my eye. It was almost as if it were getting closer. I quickly realized that it was moving, it was a falling star, a shooting star. Hurriedly, I squeezed my eyes shut and wished. "I wish I was up there with you!" I felt my chair start to shake, and a floating sensation. It was so wonderful, I could almost feel my legs below me. I had the urge to run, to sprint, do flips, move. I kept my eyes closed in fear that if I opened them it would all go away, forever. Tendrils of wind seemed as if they were wrapping around me. I opened my eyes at the sudden cold and was stunned. Where was I? The Parthenon, the stars, the moon, my chair, they were all gone. Wait, my chair? Then how was I...? I was suspended in the air! Nothing was supporting me. I could move my legs! I was floating, drifting, twirling all around. I could move! I was free again, a normal boy. This was what I had always dreamed of, no more wheel chair, no restraints, and best of all, no pitying looks. I don't know how I got here, but truthfully, I don't really care. My wishes have come true.

I looked around me and saw nothing but dark blue, with specks of white, twinkling at me, just like back home. They were all randomly scattered, but somehow evenly spaced at the same time, except for one area. It was darker than the rest of the sky, with no stars. The longer I looked at it, the bigger it seemed to get. Suddenly, I realized it was moving towards me, and picking up speed. That's when I started to panic. Frantically I started swimming, just like all the other kids do in the summer, but it was a lot harder than it looked, and I was terribly out of shape, my breaths wheezing. As soon I started to get the hang of it I looked back only to realize the mass was almost upon me. I braced myself, waiting for some kind of impact. The black cloud folded itself around me, pinching together to seal out the last bits of light. I was surrounded, couldn't see anything, and was struggling to regain my breath. I was being pulled in, sucked, to where I had no idea. The blackness was thick, and it was all around me, my lungs screamed for release. I saw light, but my eyes could barely stay open, the blackness around me lessening, but the black forcing my eyes closed getting stronger. The mass finally spit me out, leaving only a thin veil surrounding me. As the last of my strength disappeared, my eyes drooped closed, but not before I saw something whiz by me, and some air return to my lungs. I let sleep overcome me.