* Chapter 1: A Hero Falls

Start from the beginning

"Hang tight buddy! I'll be right there!" Sonic jumped straight to the top of one of the buildings. He leapt from building to building, trying to think of the fastest way to get to Tails' location.

"Be careful Sonic!" Tails exclaimed before the communicator turned off.

Dashing through the city, he realized the place was beginning to look torn down. Before, it was just deserted, now the buildings seemed to be crumbling. The ground was so torn up, running on it seemed impossible. Good thing he had chosen to take the high road then. Sonic slid under a large sign and jumped to the next building. Unlike the others though, this one started shaking.

"Uh oh, seems like this one's overdue for an inspection check." The azure hedgehog wobbled a bit as the structure began to tumble. "Better get down, quick!" He burst forward in a streak of blue lightning, just barely outrunning the collapsing concrete. Sonic leapt onto solid ground just as a large dust cloud blew up. He was dowsed in the dirt and soot. Giving a huff, the azure hedgehog shook himself before running down the brick path.

As he continued, some metallic parts lay scatter across the ground. The robots looked like they had been whacked by a blunt object. "Tails!" Sonic pushed himself to go even faster and rushed in the direction of the destroyed robots.

There were a few whimpers and some robotic sounds coming from around the corner. Sonic stopped and glanced around. Sure enough, there were the locals and Tails. The fox was continuously smashing at the robots while trying to get everyone to safety. Did Eggman follow him through the city? Well, no time for asking questions, it was time to move.

Sonic jumped out from behind the corner and landed a few hits on his robotic army. "Hey, Eggman! Time for you to pack up and leave!"

💥———✨———💦———✨———💥

Once Sonic had arrived, Tails was able to focus more on getting everyone to safety. "This way everyone. Don't stop until you've reached the city limit. I'll call Amy to escort you to safety from there." The locals gave their thanks before heading down the path and out of sight. With everyone out of the way, Tails gave a sigh of relief and flew over to help Sonic.

The blue blur was still hitting into the robots. He came up behind one and tapped its metallic exoskeleton. When the egg-shaped robot turned around to face him, Sonic rolled into a ball and promptly bounced on it. "There you go little-" The robot was...empty?

Tails landed next to him. "What's wrong, Sonic?"

"There were no animals in that robot. Or any of them as a matter of fact." Sonic explained. He turned to Eggman. "Did you finally learn how to create robots without them?"

The maniacal doctor twirled his mustache and laughed. "I guess you could say that." He pressed a button on his Eggmobile and grew a wide smile. "I hope you enjoyed that little appetizer. Here's the main course!"

Sonic looked over at Tails. The fox gave a nod and flew up, lifting the azure hedgehog with him. Sonic was thrown at Eggman with full force. The blue blur turned into a ball and prepared for impact. He was just about to hit the Eggmobile when something redirected his course.

Sonic backflipped and just barely landed on his feet. He looked around to see who had hit him. There was an ebony hedgehog right in front of him. It couldn't be. "Shadow? What are you doing working with Eggman? I thought you stopped working with him a while ago!" Shadow crossed his arms as he looked over at Sonic. His pupils seemed snakelike. The brooding hedgehog didn't make a peep of defense.

More foes jumped down from their hiding place. One of them was a red zeti. He had black horns with a blue stripe going across. Sonic rolled his eyes. This guy again? After the previous catastrophe he and Eggman had with him, Zavok seemed like the last person Eggman would go to. He wasn't the only one though.