Don't Touch Him (Levi x Reader)

Start from the beginning

Levi took a deep breath. Then, "For most of my life, I lived in the Underground City. My mother was a prostitute who got pregnant by one of her clients. She died when I was four. After that, I lived with Kenny the Ripper, and he taught me how to survive. Then he left, too. I suppose he wasn't strictly family, but...he was the closest thing..." Levi swallowed. "I never knew my biological father."

His words formed a knot in your chest. You said nothing, knowing that Levi wouldn't appreciate being pitied or coddled. Instead, you simply hugged him tighter, continuing to brush your fingers through his hair. And that seemed to be enough.

Now, you and Levi had been together for almost a year. Even though you technically held a lower rank than the captain, Commander Erwin didn't consider your relationship to be against the rules, since you weren't Levi's direct subordinate. Besides, he knew that Levi would never use his rank to take advantage of you. Moreover, you got the impression that the commander was even rooting for the two of you – as was Hanji, for that matter.

Even though you and Levi weren't obvious about your relationship while you were in public, word still got out, and thanks to Levi's status as Humanity's Strongest Soldier, rumors about his romance quickly flew throughout the entire population. It was somewhat strange and somewhat daunting to be recognized by strangers as the "girlfriend of Humanity's Strongest", but you were willing to endure their jealous stares and gossipy whispers if it meant that you could have Levi.

------------------------------------------

Levi leaned irreverently against the stone wall of some building or other, on a secluded side street near the Trost barracks. The city was mostly empty at this time of night, which was why he had come out here. He needed to be alone for a bit.

This was the third day since he and (f/n) had gotten into an argument, the third day since they had done anything but glare at each other. The strangeness of it was unsettling. In the little less than a year that they had been dating – and even before that, when they were only comrades and then friends – the two of them had never gotten into a fight.

However, when Hanji presented her newest capture request during the last strategy meeting, it seemed they had finally found something to fight about. And later that night, at the gala – a military gala, of all things – they had gotten into an argument in full view of everyone. (F/n) hadn't spoken to him since.

"You could show a little faith in me," she snapped. "I'm not useless, you know."

"I never said you were," Levi shot back. "But the things Hanji wants to do are dangerous."

"So what? Everyone is allowed to do dangerous things except for me?" she quipped indignantly. "I signed up for this! I have just as much right to risk my life as the rest of you!"

Levi clenched his teeth. "You're still not going."

"That's not your decision! You're not in charge of me!"

"Tch. We are not discussing this."

"Wait! Where are you going?"

Levi knew that (f/n) was right, that it wasn't fair of him to insist she sit on the sidelines while everyone else fought. Even so, he couldn't stand the thought of her being in any kind of danger. He had already lost so much. He couldn't lose her too. God, anything but that.

The sound of approaching footsteps pulled him from his reverie. He figured that it was just some passing townsperson, that they would be gone in a second. However, when the man came into view, when his eyes landed on Levi, he didn't move on. Instead, he rounded the corner.