Chapter 2: Deployment

3rd Person POV

Ruby stands on a cliff just outside of a tree line on the island of Patch. On the ground in front of her is a gravestone with the name 'Summer Rose'.

Ruby: Hey mom. Sorry I haven't come by in a while. Things have been... well, things have been pretty busy. Oh! Dad's here too! He's... y'know, dad. He's still teaching at Signal, but he told me he's going to be going out on some missions soon! I think he misses adventuring with you. I miss you too... Haven't gotten kicked out of Beacon yet! So that's cool. I think being on a team with Yang helps. I keep her in line... that was a joke. She's actually a really great fighter! She's learned a lot from dad. Well, so are Weiss and Blake. Oh, they're my teammates. Together, we form team RWBY... and yes, before you ask, that does cause a lot of confusion. Anyways, I made a bench of new friends, and I met some... let's just say 'odd' teachers. Oh, we also stopped some bad guys too! I guess it's like they say, like mother, like daughter. I still wonder why Ozpin let me into the school early. But I guess he'll tell me one day. You know how he is. It's funny. The more I get to know him, the more he starts sounding like uncle Qrow. Oh, oh! I almost forgot the most exciting part! Those friends I mentioned earlier? Well, some of them have actually become famous recently. They've been the talk of Remnant News lately. They're the alien veterans from different time periods from their planet, Earth. Heh, I almost said 'soldiers', but Ben, Richard, and Arthur don't like it when people call them that. Those are three of them. There's also Penrich, who's from something called the German Empire. His teammate Eniko is from another empire, Japan I think he called it. Then Alexi is from a big country called Russia, and Cohad is from someplace called Iraq. There's also Daniel, who was a highschool history teacher on their world. Professor Ozpin actually gave him a job at Beacon to teach Earth's history to anyone who's interested. Yes, my team and I are attending it. There's also Nicholas, a sailor in the Navy of the United States of America. That place is important, according to them. There's Benjamin, or Ben for short. He's part of something called the United States Marines. And finally there's team WAAR, the ones that we met first. There's Dick... well, his real name is Richard, but he likes to be called Dick for some reason. There's Arthur, who is kind of the heavy lifter of their team. He and Richard are also part of the Marines. Then there's Alex, Ben's older brother... well, older by 9 months. He's part of the United States Army. According to Dick and Arthur, he's the one you call soldier. And finally, there's John... he's part of the British Army... he's also... my boyfriend. Yes,I have a boyfriend, please don't pester me about it! And yes, dad has already met him... before he was my boyfriend.

Ruby hears a bark behind her. She turns around and sees Zwei and Tai standing behind her. She then turns back to the gravestone.

Ruby: Oh! Looks like dad's back. I gotta go. He's dropping me off at Beacon for the tournament match before he goes on his next mission. Wish me luck!

She then turns around and hurries towards her father.

Ruby: Hey dad! Ready to go.
Tai: Good. Let's get going.

Ruby, Tai, and Zwei all head back to their house.

Tai: So, Ruby... when we're you gonna tell me about this boyfriend of yours?

Ruby blushed madly at the sudden question.

Ruby: Um... uh... tonight.
Tai: You were going to just dump something this big on me all of the sudden?
Ruby: Um... would it help if I told you that Yang is dating that Alex guy I mentioned?
Tai: What?!
Ruby: Okay, maybe not.
Tai: *sigh* It's... fine. They're both part of the military, so I guess that means that they're disciplined and respectful.
Ruby: Oh, they totally are.
Tai: I still can't believe that John is an alien soldier. Suddenly the shrapnel in his side when you girls brought him in that day makes sense. I can't image what that boy has been through.
Ruby: Y-yeah... I'm sure it's unimaginable...