The Bet

I parked up behind Tara’s car, glad she still had it even though she only used it when she was back from college. I’d never been to her house before. We’d spent most of our summer outside and would usually all end up in George’s den if we wanted to hang out in the evenings. His mom liked having us over. She even told me she missed having a house full of kids.

Tara’s house was pretty – a lot prettier than the neighbour's ones. Lots of clean-cut bushes in the front garden and there were long vines winding up the bricks too so it looked almost fairy-tale like. I ended up knocking my knee with the car door as I was so distracted taking in the sight of it. I grumbled under my breath before reaching in for the large handbag filled with make-up and hair products. It was a lot heavier than it looked. I just about managed to hike it over my shoulder and unhook the dress bag – which also wasn’t the lightest because I had about ten different options in it – before stumbling up the path.

When I knocked, the door was instantly whipped open by a younger looking version of Tara, maybe six years old. Although, I was quite awful at guessing ages of kids. She was wearing a bright pink tutu and a flower crown made from daisies.

‘Oh,’ she said, a look of disappointment coming over her face. ‘You’re not Georgie.'

‘No, I’m Raegan. Tara’s friend,’ I said in what I hoped was a friendly voice. I wasn’t great with kids but I tried my hardest. I’m not sure why they didn’t like me that much. Probably because I was no good at being fake nice.

‘I wanted Georgie,’ she sighed.

‘You must be Lottie, right? The ballerina? I like your tutu.’

‘Georgie got it for me,’ she said, suddenly turning shy and looking down at her feet. Admittedly, that was cute.

‘Charlie! I told you not to answer the door!’ Tara said, storming down the stairs behind her sister. ‘Mom will be annoyed if I tell her. It could have been anyone outside!’

‘I don’t like being called Charlie anymore! Georgie calls me Lottie!’

Tara rolled her eyes at me discreetly before ushering her sister off with a promise not to tell their mom she’d answered the door, so long as she played nicely.

‘As you can tell, my five-year-old sister has a crush on my boyfriend,’ Tara grinned.

‘He is a charmer,’ I laughed. ‘Your house is adorable by the way,’ I added, following her up the stairs.

There were lots of pictures hanging up of the girls and Tara’s parents. I’d only seen them once at graduation but I hadn’t spoken to them directly. Judging from what I’d seen so far of the house, it was decorated very femininely. The upstairs carpet was a dusty pink colour and the decor was pretty and delicate. I imagined Tara’s dad had his hands full with a house full of girls. Much like George’s mom with her house of boys even though half had moved out.

‘Thanks. Mom is very house proud. Don’t go in the girls' rooms though, they’re ransacked right now. She’s going to go mad when she gets home.’

I followed her down a short hall and into her own bedroom. It smelled overpoweringly of perfume and I couldn’t help but cough as it hit the back of my throat

‘Sorry, I dropped a bottle of Daisy all over the carpet,’ Tara sighed, traipsing over to the window and throwing it open wide to let in a blast of cold air. ‘It was brand new too, just bought it at the airport on the way home. So, anyway, what’s new with you?’

I dumped my handbag onto the floor and hooked the dress bag onto a coat hanger by the door before replying and rubbing at my shoulder with a wince.