Ophelia's deep eyes implored me. "Please, Cyril. Nemesis is deadly accurate. You wouldn't make it half way. Please..."

Kit came to my side, her wide innocent eyes and trembling lower lip tugged at my heart. I took a deep breath, not to quench the fire, but to harness it. Dash stood about ten paces away in the open munching on grass, unconcerned about the danger. Attached to the bundle on his back was my bow and quiver, and within the quiver were the Chaos infused arrows.

I pointed at Dash. "My arrows! If I can get my bow." I cupped my hands around my mouth and called. "Dash! Come here!" The burro ignored me. "Come on, Dash!" This was not a good time for his obstinate behavior.

Nemesis jumped from the rock and took two steps closer in fluid motion. "Well? What shall it be, fight or flight? I grow bored with this."

Ophelia nudged me. "Let me distract her."

"No!" I snapped my head around. "I don't want that risk for you."

She smiled and touched her lips to my cheek, leaving a pleasant tingling. "We have to work together. It will be like the sand worms."

"It's not the same." I protested, but Ophelia was right. I sighed in resignation and nodded, nonetheless concern for her still gnawed at my gut. She grasped my hand and closed her eyes. Flesh transformed to dazzling myst, and she drifted away.

Crouching ready, I signed to Kit. "<Stay hidden>."

Nemesis' eyes tracked Ophelia's myst form, drifting up and to the side. The Goddess tensed her crystal face, baring transparent teeth. Ophelia must have been taunting her with a communication I could not hear. In a flash of movement, Nemesis let a crystal arrow fly. I gasped, but it passed right through the myst, leaving Ophelia unharmed.

Seizing the opportunity, I sprinted toward Dash, grabbing the bow from the burro's back and spilling the arrows on the ground.

Nemesis lowered her bow and raised a hand toward Ophelia, who drifted further to the side. A wide beam of golden light burst from the goddess' hand, striking Ophelia's myst and ripping it away from her. Falling limp from the sky in human form, she landed hard on the rocky ground with a thump that stole my breath. She laid still, face down in the soil.

"No!" I screamed. The fear that I might have lost her added oil to the fire. I notched an obsidian tipped arrow.

Turning her head, Nemesis just laughed. "Your arrows cannot hurt me any more than the Moirai!"

I let fly the arrow. "This one will!"

The goddess shrieked as the arrow pierced her chest. Narrow ribbons of dark Chaos erupted from the arrowhead and spiraled within her crystalline body. Nemesis came down to one knee and dropped her bow, grimacing. Using both hands, she yanked the arrow out.

I charged while gripping my obsidian knife, allowing the burning rage full rein. Driven by potent emotions, black turbulent streamers of the Chaos poured from my body, swirling around me. Nemesis shifted to her side, at the same time pulling free her crystal sword, slashing. Dodging, I dove to the ground, tasting the churning dust. Still, the sword tip raked my side, but in my rage, I hardly felt it.

Nemesis rose and swung again. I rolled. The sword struck only the ground, raising sparks as it grazed a rock. Up on one knee, I instinctively thrust out a hand. With that, the Chaos attacked, grappling the goddess like eagle talons. She screeched a cry to the sky.

Leaping, I thrust my obsidian blade into her torso, once and again. With cry silenced, Nemesis' crystal body disintegrated, crumbling into a pile of white sand before me.

Vengeance served, I heaved a deep breath, allowing my rage to subside.

"Ophelia!" I sheathed my knife and rushed to her.

The shadow on my heart lifted as I saw Kit helping Ophelia sit. Ophelia's head wavered, and I came to her side, wrapping a supporting arm around her and holding her against my chest. "Are you hurt?" I whispered, gently brushing dirt from her face.

"Dazed. I had not expected that kind of energy attack." Ophelia scanned the area where Nemesis once stood, wrinkling her forehead. "What happened?"

"Nemesis is no more. Justice was done."

Her breath hitched. "You killed a Goddess! No mortal has ever done that."

"No." I smiled. "We did that."

Helping Ophelia stand, I wavered myself. With the battle over, my wound made itself known, shooting sparks of pain up my side. She steadied me, but then her hand came back coated in red.

"Cyril, you are bleeding!" Ophelia lowered me on a flat-top rock to sit. "Let me see."

I grimaced from the pain while raising my arms so she could remove my shirt. "It is probably just a flesh wound," I said.

"No. The cut is deep." Ophelia motioned to Kit, who rushed to retrieve the medical kit from Dash's pack.

While Ophelia cleaned the wound, I signed to my sister, who kneeled beside me wide-eyed with concern. "<Do not worry. I will be fine.>"

Kit narrowed her dark eyes. "<You had better be!>" Her command made me grin.

Ophelia bound the wound with strips torn from her long skirt. As much as the bandage, her gentle hands soothed me, warmth spreading from each point of touch. I took up her hand and gazed into her eyes. "Thank you, Ophelia."

Her smile in return warmed me all the more. "Can you walk?"

"I think so."

But as I walked, supported by Ophelia's arm, I felt my strength wane. Perhaps the wound was graver than I wanted to believe.