Chapter 3

In the beginning, only Chaos existed. From the maelstrom rose the Gods. But the Chaos became jealous of the Gods' perfection and made war against them. The Gods vanquished the Chaos and cast them out forever to the dark cosmos.

- The Canon

[The Gods]

The Gods assembled in the Pantheon, located on the very peak of Mt. Olympus beneath a perpetual deep-blue sky. Massive white marble columns supported a white stone roof. A huge golden throne rested on a carved rock dais at one end, overlooking all those gathered in the great hall. Enchanted silver mirrors floated around the perimeter from which the Gods gazed upon themselves or looked upon the mortals who worshiped them.

Twelve Gods and Goddesses resided in towering limestone mansions perched on rocky ledges below the Pantheon. Other Gods, most loathing the company of the twelve, lived elsewhere within the Divine Realm.

Zeus peered over the balcony edge, looking down at the Moirai weaving chamber far below near the mountain base. The recent controversy began there. Incessant bickering of the other Gods waiting before an empty throne came to his mind like so much shrill mental noise. They spoke with directed thought, not lowering themselves to the inelegant audible speech of men unless absolutely necessary. Zeus' clear crystalline mouth turned up to a grin, and he muttered to the expanse, "Let them wait for me."

After a few moments, the King of the Gods strolled into the great hall, tapping his golden staff on the floor with each step. He ignored calls to arbitrate petty disputes that so consumed the gathered. Taking the throne, he pounded the staff twice against the dais, letting the reverberating sound silence the assembled deities.

Artemis stepped forward, exclaiming in thought-voice, "What purpose this sudden call to court?"

Zeus turned his head to another. "Athena, report!"

The Goddess stepped forward, dipping her head to the King, then turning to the others. "The Moirai discovered a defect in the tapestry, a missing thread."

"Why is a Moirai error a matter for the court?" A mental shout came from the back.

Athena bared crystal teeth. "There be no error! I examined it myself. The thread exists, but is invisible to God and Moirai. Further, a Seer reported a man without destiny in the village called Kelde. He also evades our eyes."

Another shout came. "Would you have us believe this man be of Chaos? Impossible! We vanquished the Chaos long ago!"

"I make no such claim, this now is only a matter of concern. I sent a Moirai to determine the nature of this man and then dispose of him." Athena replied.

Murmurs erupted among the assembled Gods, rising to a din. With a raised hand, Zeus silenced the noise.

Another God stepped before the throne, standing tall. The Goddess Nemesis at his side bore a crystal bow and quiver across her back, and a glass sword at her waist. The God said, "A more decisive response is required, my King. The Moirai are born of men, we cannot trust them for such a task."

"What do you propose, Ares?" Zeus asked.

A cruel grin grew on the God's crystal face. "If the Chaos rises again like a disease, then we must cull the herd. Cleanse the village and be done with it!"

"I object!" The Goddess Demeter threw up an arm, charging forward from the crowd. "The people of that village worship me. My life-force would be diminished."

"And why risk the emergence of Chaos to spare a few miserable creatures?" Ares asked.

Ares smirked as Demeter advanced on him, pushing a finger against his chest. She raised her thought-voice. "Do I need to remind you that we need these creatures' worship to exist in this form?  Even now our power grows low. Would you plunge us again into the dark maelstrom? Are you such a fool?"

Snarling, Ares drew a glass knife from a crystal scabbard at his waist, holding the blade across Demeter's neck. "Hold your words, Goddess of the Harvest, or I shall harvest you!"

"Enough!" Zeus bellowed, slamming down his decorated staff on the dais with an echoing boom. "The Chaos cannot be allowed to sprout among men. Ares, cleanse the village of Kelde! Demeter, other worshipers will be found to compensate for your loss. Men have an affinity for repopulation."

Demeter raised a hand, stepping toward the throne. "My King, if--"

"Judgment was passed!" Zeus stood, slamming down his staff once again, then stormed off.

Ares turned to Nemesis beside him. "You know what must be done."

Nemesis' clear lips curled up as she fondled the hilt of her crystal sword. "Men offer little sport, but still, it shall be a welcome distraction from the boredom."