Amelia sat in a table in the back with her brother and her father. She was too caught up in an argument with her younger brother to notice me.

Owen cleared his throat, drawing me out of my thoughts.

The room fell silent.

"As many of you know, a group of she wolfs were on their way to visit relatives in one of the surrounding packs and got ambushed by a few of the Silvercrest Wolves."

My eyes went cascaded downwards, a pang of guilt overcoming me. Even though they weren't my pack anymore I still felt odly responible for the crimes the committed.

"We were able to save majority of the she wolves before they reached the pack but two of them were taken to the Silvercrest pack."

I wondered who the two she wolves were. Not that it really mattered, it was sick regardless of who they were.

"So what are you going to do about it?!" An older wolf said as he stood to his feet. Tension quiqly filled the room.

"My Penelope just wanted to visit her cousin! You promised me you'd protect her! Does she not matter anymore because you've found a mate?" I looked between the two of them, confused and a embarrassed now that all the attention was directed at me. It was an unspoken rule that the Alpha was supposed to protect and provide for his pack but if what Penelope's father said was true, it was completly disrespectful to me. The pittied looks some of the pack members gave me confirmed it.

Guilt flashed across Owen's face, as judgement filled the older male.  A she wolf who I assumed was his wife placed a hand on his shoulder and whispered something in his ear, causing him to sit back down but the anger on his face did not change.

Owen quickly regained himself after our eyes met. "I am sorry if you feel as if I have failed you. We will bring Penelope and Grace home." His eyes lingeres on Penelope's father, a silent meaning between the two.  Both families noded, not quite satisfied but content for now. But in reality Owen couldn't protect the entire pack, although an alpha he was only one wolf.

"No more visiting other territories unless I approve until further notice." He said before he sat down.

Owen's mother shot a pleased smile in our direction. Owen and I returned the smile and began eating our food in silence.

***

"What was that? You promised her father you'd protect her?" Owen ignored my question and began walking faster.

"I am a provider for all of the weak and mateless in my pack." He said nonchalantly.

I shook my head. "No that sounded personal, and everyone in that room knew it!" He stopped and ran his hand over his face. "Yes, I went to her parents when I was younger and made a promise to protect her until she found her mate." My heart dropped, hurt that he had promised her parents something that wasn't meant for them.

"For a pack that prides themselves of women being skilled in training you sure treat your women like they're helpless." He turned to face me, irritated written on his face. I knew I shouldv'e stopped there, I knew I was pushing it too far but the anger I felt was so strong it took over all logic that passed through my brain.

"I just don't understand why you had to go out your way to announce yourself as her protector! It's very disrespectful to my family and I!" I take a deep breath realization on what I just said caused me to quickly backtrack "Not that I need your protection, I can take care of myself just fine." I crossed my arms over my chest and began walking past him when he he grabbed my arm.

"I shouldn't have made that promise, I know. Once I told my mom what I had done she explained that what I did would cause problems in the future, but I had already made a promise to them. I felt bad for her and this was around the time women weren't allowed to train." My eyes searched him, looking for any trace of a lie.

I sighed, "I'm sorry, she's been kidnapped and I'm worried about a promise you made to her family." I really did feel bad for Penelope, no one deserved that and I couldn't imagine what she was going through right now. When I think back she had never gone out her way to be nasty to me. I hoped she was okay.

"No I should've told you about it, I don't know why I left it out." I nodded and we continued our walk to our room.

I laid in our bed, not able to fall asleep. Owen was fast asleep with his arm draped over my waist. My eyes were glued to the bright light of the moon seeping through the window. My thoughts drifted to my Pa and my brother, they had always been there for me whenever I need them.

My brother and I sat on the porch swing staring out at the woods as our parents argued, well mostly my papa yelling at my ma. The arguments have became more frequent lately. Since we lived far from the pack house we didn't attract any attention. Even if we did draw attention no one would help. We had only been in the pack for only 2 years and still hadn't the quite found our way here. We were considered outsiders.

"Why doesn't mama like me?" I asked my brother.

He shot me a sad look and sighed. "I don't know..." There was no denying how she felt, even as a seven year old I knew she did not like me. The argument that's was going on now was about me.

"Did I do something wrong?" My brother's eyes widened. "No, you did nothing wrong Parmus. I think..." His voice trailed off, not sure if he was supposed to be talking about it.

"Pa told me mom is not...all the way there." He admits. I furrowed my brows in confusion. "What does that mean?"

"I think she's a little crazy." Dalton covered his face with his eyes ashamed of what he had just said.

"Oh..." I dropped my eyes to my hands.

He pulled me to his side and wrapped his arms around me. "It will be okay Parmus, but I think mom will need to go away for a while."

"Okay." I felt relived but I also felt bad for feeling that way about my mother. I just wanted our family to be normal like the movies, and if my mother stayed that would never happen.

The back door flew open causing both of us to jump up. My mother's wide eyes landed on mine. "You!"She pointed a finger in my direction, causing Dalton to push me behind him. She ran towards us causing me to tighten my grip on Dalton's hand. "Ma stop it!" Dalton yelled. She pushed him to the ground then lifted me up from the ground by the straps of my dress. My feet dangled as I began to cry hysterically. "P-please mama! I'm sorry!"

"Put her down Halina!" My father shouted.

Owen placed his hand on my shoulder, I realized I was shaking and crying. I quickly sat up and wiped my eyes. He joined me and placed my hand in his. "Are you okay?" I nodded, not able to face him.

I quickly wiped my tears and stood. I couldn't show him what had affected me. I didn't need him asking questions, it just forced me to open up about something I wasn't ready for. Even Josh said I should take my time and wait until I was ready to discuss these things with the important people in my life. Owen had become important to me but I didn't think I would ever be ready to discuss this part of me with him. How could I explain something that I hadn't even quite understood either. I just pushed it in the back of my mind and moved on with my life. Or so I thought...

"Parmus..."

My head twisted in his direction, our eyes meeting. He walked over to me and placed a hand on my shoulder. "I-I saw."

I stilled.

"Saw what?" I asked, playing dumb. In all honesty I didn't know what else to say. How could I be so stupid? I worked so hard to keep my feelings boarded up and in a split moment of weakness I had let him in.

"I'm sorry."

I shook my head and took a step back, his hand falling from my shoulder. "Don't be. You haven't seen the worst, and you never will. I'll make sure of it."

***