Chapter 7

A soft tap on my shoulder made me wake from my slumber. My eyelids fluttered open to see green eyes startlingly close to me.

"Ah, you're awake! C'mon, let's go get lunch!"

"You-you're really close, Midoriya," I said, pulse racing.

"Oh! Sorry!" Midoriya said, backing away. I sat up and stretched, yawning while I did so.

"What's for lunch?" I asked.

"Sato made ramen!"

I nodded, thoroughly excited to eat, for Sato's ramen is the best.

As we walked into the kitchen, Sato was already serving the food, being thanked as everyone got their food--well, most everyone. Sato got a grumble from Bakugou, which Kirishima apologized for. If they're not gay, I don't know what is.

"Here," Sato said, giving me my bowl. "Extra for you."

I blinked at him. "Thanks, I guess."

My little friend group went and sat in the commons, to which I joined them.

Do I have to remind you again that they only pity you, they're NOT your friends.

I sighed, the voice in my head was never going away at this rate.

"What's wrong Todoroki?" Uraraka asked.

"Nothing," I said, finally eating my ramen.

"Something is, you usually eat Sato's ramen very quickly!"

"It's nothing, ok?" I said, tone a little harsh. They stared at me. "Sorry, I just don't feel very well."

"It's all right!" Midoriya said, but I could still see a little bit of that pity in his eyes. I hated it.

"I....I'm so sorry. I...I need to go." I said, nodding and apologizing to Sato for not eating it all, well telling him it was delicious, who waved it off as nothing.

I darted for my dorm, where I closed it softly, then allowed myself to cry.

The voice in my head....was starting to sound familiar.

They are NOT your friends! You are going to be the number one hero one day, you have no time for meaningless stuff like friendship.

They live in a different world than you.

Stand up, dammit! You can't save the people you love if you keep falling down!

You are a failure, Shoto.

I gasped and grabbed my head, stumbling to my futon.

How....how did I let him into my mind? Was....it always engraved in there, since I was a child?

I choked on a sob, squeezing my eyes shut.

How COULD I be a hero, if I can't save myself from the demons that haunt my past?!