Fourth Year~Chapter Twelve

Start from the beginning

'You 'ave finished wiz it?'

'Yeah,' Ron said breathlessly. 'Yeah, it was excellent.'

The girl picked up the dish and carried it carefully off to the Ravenclaw table. Ron was still goggling at the girl as though he had never seen one before. Harry and (Y/N) started to laugh. The sound seemed to jog Ron back to his senses.

'She's a veela!' he said hoarsely to Harry and (Y/N).

'Of course she isn't!' said Hermione tartly. 'I don't see anyone else gaping at her like an idiot!'

But she wasn't entirely right about that. As the girl crossed the Hall, many boys' heads turned, and some of them seemed to have become temporarily speechless, just like Ron. Harry thought that it was similar to the type of affect that (Y/N) had, though she never showed any interest anyone.

'I'm telling you, that's not a normal girl!' said Ron, leaning sideways so he could keep a clear view of her. 'They don't make them like that at Hogwarts!'

'They make them okay at Hogwarts,' said Harry without thinking. Cho happened to be sitting only a few places away from the girl with the silvery hair.

'Yeah ...' said (Y/N), her eyes fixed on her hands, which she rested on her lap. Harry turned his head away from the Ravenclaw table and towards (Y/N), wondering who she could be thinking about. He couldn't stop the corners if his mouth from curving into a frown.

'When you've all put your eyes back in,' said Hermione briskly, 'you'll be able to see who's just arrived.'

She was pointing up at the staff table. The two remaining empty seats had just been filled. Ludo Bagman was now sitting on Professor Karkaroff's other side, while Mr. Crouch, Percy's boss, was next to Madame Maxime.

'What are they doing here?' said Harry in surprise.

'They organized the Triwizard Tournament, didn't they?' said (Y/N). 'They probably wanted to be here to see it start.'

When the second course arrived they noticed a number of unfamiliar desserts too. Ron examined an odd sort of pale blancmange closely, then moved it carefully a few inches to his right, so that it would be clearly visible from the Ravenclaw table. The girl who looked like a veela appeared to have eaten enough, however, and did not come over to get it.

Once the golden plates had been wiped clean, Dumbledore stood up again. A pleasant sort of tension seemed to fill the Hall now. (Y/N) felt a slight thrill of excitement, wondering what was coming. Several seats down from them, Fred and George were leaning forward, staring at Dumbledore with great concentration.

'The moment has come,' said Dumbledore, smiling around at the sea of upturned faces. 'The Triwizard Tournament is about to start. I would like to say a few words of explanation before we bring in the casket –'

'The what?' Harry muttered.

Ron shrugged.

'– just to clarify the procedure that we will be following this year. But first, let me introduce, for those who do not know them, Mr. Bartemius Crouch, Head of the Department of International Magical Cooperation' – there was a smattering of polite applause – 'and Mr. Ludo Bagman, Head of the Department of Magical Games and Sports.'

There was a much louder round of applause for Bagman than for Crouch, perhaps because of his fame as a Beater, or simply because he looked so much more likable. He acknowledged it with a jovial wave of his hand. Bartemius Crouch did not smile or wave when his name was announced. Remembering him in his neat suit at the Quidditch World Cup, Harry thought he looked strange in wizard's robes. His toothbrush moustache and severe parting looked very odd next to Dumbledore's long white hair and beard.