First Year~Chapter Five

Third Person POV

Malfoy couldn't believe his eyes when he saw that Harry, Ron and (Y/N) were still at Hogwarts the next day, looking tired but perfectly cheerful. Indeed, by next morning the three of them thought that meeting the three-headed dog had been an excellent adventure and they were quite keen to have another one. In the meantime, Harry filled Ron and (Y/N) in about the package that seemed to have been moved from Gringotts to Hogwarts, and they spent a lot of time wondering what could possibly need such heavy protection.

'It's either really valuable or really dangerous,' said Ron.

'Or both,' said (Y/N).

But as all they knew for sure about the mysterious object was that it was about two inches long, they didn't have much chance of guessing what it was without further clues.

Neither Neville or Hermione showed the slightest interest in what lay underneath the dog and the trapdoor. All Neville cared about was never going near the dog again.

Hermione was now refusing to speak to Harry, Ron and (Y/N), but she was such a bossy know-it-all that they saw this as an added bonus. All they really wanted now was a way of getting back at Malfoy, and to their great delight, just such a thing arrived with the post about a week later.

As the owls flooded into the Great Hall as usual, everyone's attention was caught at once by a long thin package carried by six large screech owls. Harry was just as interested as everyone else to see what was in this large parcel and was amazed when the owls soared down and dropped it right in front of him, and a second one in front of (Y/N). They had hardly fluttered out of the way when another owl dropped a letter on top of each parcel.

Harry ripped open his letter first, which was lucky, because it said:

DO NOT OPEN THE PARCEL AT THE TABLE.

It contains your new Nimbus Two Thousand, but I don't want everybody knowing you've got a broomstick or they'll all want one. Oliver Wood will meet you tonight on the Quidditch pitch at seven o'clock for your first training session.

Professor M. McGonagall

Harry had difficulty hiding his glee as he handed the note to Ron to read.

'A Nimbus Two Thousand!' Ron moaned enviously. 'I've never even touched one.'

(Y/N) then proceeded to open her own letter:

DO NOT OPEN THE PARCEL AT THE TABLE.

I wrote to your father and he has sent me your Nimbus Two Thousand. I don't want everyone knowing that you have been allowed to bring your broomstick or they'll want to, too. Oliver Wood will meet you tonight on the Quidditch pitch at seven o'clock for your first training session.

Professor M. McGonagall

There was another scroll next to it. She unrolled it and found that it was from her father:

(Y/N),

McGonagall told me about your flying skills, and I can't say I'm surprised. Of course, you know that your mother and I used to be part of the Quidditch team, too. I know I told you to behave, but I guess breaking the rules has gained you something. Don't make a habit of it, though. It won't always end well.

You mentioned Snape in your letter – don't let him get you down. From what I've heard, he favours Slytherins, so it's not like you're the only one he seems to dislike.

Work is getting quite busy so I might not have time to respond to future letters. Make sure you work hard, and don't get too many detentions.