Third Year~Chapter Three

(Y/N)'s POV

I watched the eagle swoop towards the woods. Anxious to know why it was going there, I ran after it. The ground beneath me was uneven and and I kept slipping and sliding on the wet mud. I fell down to the earth and lost sight of the bird. Determined to find it again, I stood up, clutching the stitch that was forming in my side. I didn't know how I was going to get back home, but that wasn't what was worrying me.

As the pounding of my feet on the ground synchronised with the thumping of my heart, I realised that the trees around me were getting thicker. The darkness felt as if it was pressing on my eyes.

My breath was noisy and shallow, and I felt as if I was going to be sick from overexertion. I finally stopped, feeling defeated. Throwing myself onto the dirty woodland floor to get some rest, I stared up at the dense foliage and realised that there was a small opening where a sliver of moonlight could shine through.

That was when I saw it – or him. My dad had landed a few metres away. I peered out from behind a tree: knowing that, if he saw me, I would be in a lot of trouble. Next to the eagle was another creature. I had to cover my mouth to stop myself from screaming.

The hunched back and clawed paws could only be that of a werewolf.

I stumbled backwards and it must have heard me. The giant monster turned towards me and ran, but the eagle was faster. It flew between me and the lycanthrope, spreading its wings to shield me ...

I woke with a jolt, safely tucked into my four-poster bed in the girls' dormitory. I raised a shaky hand to brush the hair away from my sweaty forehead. It had been a long time since I had visited that memory through a dream. It was years ago and I still didn't know why Dad was in the woods – not that I ever asked. It was as if we had reached an unspoken agreement to never mention the events of that night.

I jerkily lifted myself to an upright position and saw that Hermione was already awake. She was sitting up on her own four-poster and had The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 3 resting on her lap.

'Are you alright?' she asked, concern written across her face. 'You were shaking a lot in your sleep.'

'Just a stupid nightmare,' I smiled weakly. 'don't worry about it.'

~

Third Person POV

After getting dressed, (Y/N) and Hermione met Harry and Ron down in the common room. When the four of them entered the Great Hall for breakfast, the first thing they saw was Draco Malfoy, who seemed to be entertaining a large group of Slytherins with a very funny story. As they passed, Malfoy did a ridiculous impression of a swooning fit and there was a roar of laughter.

'Ignore him,' said Hermione, who was right behind Harry. 'Just ignore him, it's not worth it ...'

'Hey, Potter!' shrieked Pansy Parkinson, a Slytherin girl with a face like a pug. 'Potter! The Dementors are coming, Potter! Woooooooo!'

(Y/N) clicked her tongue and Harry dropped into a seat at the Gryffindor table, next to George Weasley.

'New third-year timetables,' said George, passing them over. 'What's up with you, Harry?'

'Malfoy,' said Ron, sitting down on George's other side and glaring over at the Slytherin table.

George looked up in time to see Malfoy pretending to faint with terror again.

'That little git,' he said calmly. 'He wasn't so cocky last night when the Dementors were down our end of the train. Came running into our compartment, didn't he, Fred?'