Second Year~Chapter One

(Y/N)'s POV

To (Y/N),

Harry hasn't been answering any of my letters, either, and from what Hermione has said, it's been the same for her. Do you think it's those Muggles he lives with? The way Harry talks about them, I wouldn't put it past them to not let him send any owls. Mum's worried they aren't treating him right. Anyway, I asked Mum and Dad if you can come and stay at The Burrow before we go off to Hogwarts, and they said that you can come anytime you like. Ask your Dad if you can stay over next week. Fred, George and I have a plan to get Harry to come, too.

From, Ron

~

'Dad?' I asked, hesitantly.

We were sat at the dining table, almost done with our dinner. Dad finished chewing and swallowed.

'Yes?'

'I was wondering ...' I began. 'When Harry and I ... when we ...'

I wasn't completely sure how to word my question, or even if I should ask. Dad watched me patiently. I could tell by the look in his eyes that he knew what I was about to say.

'Voldemort told me that Mum wasn't supposed to die,' I finally said. 'He said that it was meant to be me.'

He peered at me and said, 'You want to know why,'

I nodded, glad that he figured it out and I hadn't had to ask it myself.

'I'm old enough to know, now. Right?'

'Oh, I wouldn't say you're old enough,' he said. 'But I guess it's time you found out, especially after last year's events.'

With a flick of his wand, he sent our used cutlery and empty plates to the kitchen to be washed. He then turned to me, and placed a hand over mine.

'You're a (L/N), like me,' he said. 'The (L/N)s are a very ancient wizarding family. They go back centuries – you already know this. What you don't know is that it used to be common knowledge, in the wizarding world, that whoever kills the most recent member of our bloodline will be granted something that many many people want.'

He stopped and looked away from me.

'Immortality,'

I gasped, making Dad turn back to me.

'You, being the most recent (L/N), are a target of Voldemort,' He said this slowly, as if the information would be easier to digest the slower it was given. 'He, of course, wants to be immortal. It would make his rise to power much harder to prevent.'

'Does that mean I'm immortal?' I asked.

'No,' said Dad.

'Oh,'

For years, I had no insight as to why my mother was murdered. Finding this out, along with the fact that Voldemort wanted to kill me was too much for me to take in. Maybe I shouldn't have asked.

I think Dad could sense how uneasy I was feeling because he said, 'It is very rare knowledge, now. Not many people know – us (L/N)s started keeping it a secret so as not to endanger future generations. Plus, we have enchantments on the house so that dark wizards are unable to enter.

'And, while you're at Hogwarts, you're near Dumbledore, so nothing bad should happen to you. Besides, from what you've seen, Voldemort doesn't even have a body. It's very unlikely that he'll be able to do anything.'

I wasn't completely reassured. Was this the fear that Harry felt, knowing that Voldemort wanted to kill him?

'I wish I hadn't told you. I was going to wait until you were older,' Dad sighed. 'But you came face-to-face with him last year. It's best that you know, now, so that you're more cautious.'