Chapter 11: War

They appeared with a pop in the middle of the ocean, facing a large cliff face with a peculiar crack down the middle.

"Is that where we're going?" Hermione questioned.

"Indeed, Miss Granger," Dumbledore replied.

"Well, why are we here then?" Harry asked, confused as to why they apparated here when they could have gone to the entrance.

"Dramatic Effect?" Dumbledore smirked. Then they apparated to the actual cave entrance.

"Okay, I liked it where we were," Hermione shuddered at the sudden chill she got.

"Yes, this is the place; this place has known magic," Dumbledore said, drawing a crude knife from his pocket. He started to cut his palm with the knife.

"Sir!" Hermione and Harry screamed in unison.

"A payment must be made to gain passage, a payment made to weaken any intruder," Dumbledore said, wiping his hand on the jagged wall of the cave, rocks opening up as he did, revealing a small passageway.

"You should have let me, Sir," Harry said.

"Your blood is far more precious than mine," Dumbledore replied. They all gasped when they were met with a vast opening, with a lake shimmering in the faint light.

"Lumos Maxima!" Hermione shouted, throwing a ball of light into the air, lighting up the cave, although, when she moved the light around the room, it seemed to glow brighter at a particular spot.

"There it is!" Dumbledore said, causing Hermione to stop moving the ball.

"How do we get there?" Harry asked. Dumbledore only smiled at this and held his hand over the water; Harry stepped back when he felt the whole earth vibrate beneath him. As the vibrations got louder, a chain shot up from the water and into Dumbledore's hand.

"If you would, Harry," Dumbledore said, passing Harry the chain, who then pulled on the chain, feeling a slight resistance, he marched on, however, and soon enough, a boat was pulled out of the water, in front of their eyes.

"That's how we get there," Hermione said with a smile.

They slowly floated their way across the massive body of water, following Hermione's glowing orb. Hermione was holding onto Harry's arm tightly. She didn't like the dark, and this was the dark, mixed with evil magic, and Merlin knows what else.

"We're going to be fine, 'Mione, I promise you, I'm not going to leave your side," Harry said, kissing the top of her head; Hermione hugged him tightly as they approached a small island in the middle of the water. They cautiously stepped out of the boat. Dumbledore was drawn to a small podium in the center of the island.

"It's in here. The Horcrux is in here," Dumbledore said, a hint of hope lacing his voice.

"Let's get it then," Hermione said, not wanting to be in here longer than they needed to be.

"It needs to be drunk; Harry, do you remember the conditions on which I brought you with me?" Dumbledore said quizically. "This potion might paralyze me, but whatever happens, I need you to keep giving me this potion, is that understood?" He continued, now sounding a little bit more desperate.

"Why can't I drink it?" Harry questioned.

"Because I am much older and far less valuable," Dumbledore replied. He gulped the potion, and he fell, violently shaking as he hit the floor. Harry jumped to his aid, Dumbledore shook him off, nodding his head to the podium. Harry knew what he needed to do.

He kept giving Dumbledore the potion, no matter how much he pleaded against it. Hermione watched in sadness for both parties. Dumbledore was like a father to Harry; this couldn't have been easy for him. Harry was visibly shaken up, looking like he would break any moment, but he soldiered on.