15. Step

|| a/n: some dialogues are from the manga / anime ||

.

.

.

It was already October 21, 2004. Ryoko was cold 24/7 and it didn't matter the number of sweaters she wore, she would be cold anyway. Sometimes Matsuda would lend her his jacket and she was really grateful, that simple gesture kept her warm for hours at the HQ. However, when she was at home at Yokohama or at the Higashi University she would be a frozen statue.

She was in the middle of the lesson period so she couldn't be much present at the HQ. Luckily Matsuda would keep her informed all the time.

«Koike-san, here's your notes about "Adult Psychopathology and Treatment"»

«Thank you Tobe-san. This afternoon I have to hand in my assignments to Hirito-sensei»

«I know you can do it, you're her favourite»

After that unpleasant incident about Tobe's phobia, Ryoko's tutor came back as efficient as always. Everyone discovered a more human trait of his being since every student, until that moment, believed he was a sort of cold machine. Always so meticulous and conscientious, it seemed that incident had many positive results after all.

«Koike-san, I was wondering...»

«Yes?» Ryoko wasn't looking at him in that moment, she was more focused on the notes in her hands.

«I was wondering if you want to eat something after the courses. I heard Ichiran had a new menu for Halloween» (a/n: Ichiran=a Japanese ramen food-service business specializing in tonkotsu ramen, a dish based on pork bones and other ingredients, which are typically boiled for several hours)

«I would love to, I practically adore Ichiran ramen»

Later that afternoon, around 6pm, Tobe and Ryoko left the Higashi. Since the University was not in the main centre of Tokyo, they had to take the train. Tobe noticed the girl's distress and she told him about the experience at the Kawasaki metro station (a/n: chapter 8). Her tutor realised that to keep her calm he needed to distract her so Tobe started to ask her many questions about different stuff.

Ryoko didn't notice how fast time passed and she was surprised when Tobe stood up warning her that they were arrived. The walk from the station to the restaurant lasted 20 minutes and once inside Ichiran, Ryoko was hit by the delicious smell of ramen; the place was small and it reminded a long corridor: the walls had wooden plates while on the ground there was a wall-to-wall carpeting in a neutral colour; there were no tables but a single and long wooden table that recalled a bar counter; each seat had black and red stools and was separated from the others by a sort of board.

«Please, give me your jacket Koike-san»

«Thank you» Ryoko gave it to him and found two nearby seats. The wooden board forced the two to stick their heads out to talk; after a while they wrote up the sheet they took at the entrance, a sheet that the client had to fill out to let the chefs know what kind of ramen they wanted.

«Richness...medium. Then a drop of garlic...with green onion and very spicy»

«Do you like spicy food, Tobe-san?»

«Yeah, a lot»

During the dinner Ryoko took many photos of Tobe busy with his spicy ramen: the strange expressions he made were truly amusing. They spend a wonderful dinner at Ichiran and around 8:30pm they left the restaurant.

«Do you want me to walk you home, Koike-san?» Tobe asked while adjusting his glasses on his nose, a lock of dyed blonde hair fell from his beanie.