17

We're Not Friends | 17

A Few Days Later
Saturday
July 23rd, 2022

Laura looks around the empty ice rink, already giving up on lacing up her skates. If she's being honest, she's only been ice skating a few times. She's been roller skating a bunch of times, that's easy for her. But the few times she went ice skating it was a little tricker. Despite only her cast mates and Ross' cast mates being there, the place is still very loud from everybody's chatter as they rent out skates.

"Why am I so weak?" Sofia mumbles from beside Laura, causing her to laugh. Turns out, Laura isn't the only one struggling. Chase is going around and helping out some of their cast mates and the CAOS cast.

"That's why I already gave up, Sof." Laura tells her. She notices Ross making his way over, skates fully laced up, and she gives him a guilty smile. He playfully rolls his eyes.

"You need help?" He asks, eyeing the two girls. Sofia sighs and slumps in the bench.

"Yes, please." She sounds defeated, causing Ross to chuckle. He kneels down and grabs her leg, putting the bottom of her skate in between his thighs. "So, how come you and your brothers have different skates?" Chase has different skates, too, but she hasn't noticed that yet.

"They're hockey skates." He tells her, finishing up her first skate. Ross, Rocky, Ryland and Gordy made sure to check if they rented out hockey skates here. There's a big difference between figure skating skates and hockey skates, they aren't as good on the normal ones. He releases her leg and grabs her other one, placing the skate in between his thighs again. "My family grew up on the ice." He adds. Chase played hockey growing up, too, which is why he's also wearing hockey skates.

"Do you still play?" She asks.

"Yeah, all the time. We try to make it a weekly thing. At least when I'm in L.A. and not here." She nods her head. He releases her skate and gives her a smile. "You're good to go."

"Thank you so much." She stands up and takes a few steps. "This might be a disaster once I get on the ice." She mumbles as she walks away.

"I believe in you!" Laura shouts after her. Sofia shoots her a wide smile before joining the others. "Would you be kind enough to help me, too?" Laura asks, pouting out her bottom lip. Ross hums as he grabs one of her legs and does the same thing he did with Sofia. "I don't know if I've ever seen you on the ice before. At least not in person." He furrows his brows.

"We've only gone rollerskating together, huh?" He questions. They've been rollerskating countless times together. Between cast bonding, birthdays, and other parties, they've seen a lot of rollerskating together. Ross used to tease Laura on the floor by doing circles around her. He even tried teaching her how to skate backwards before. It didn't go as well as either of them hoped. She ended up falling and getting a pretty nasty bruise on her elbow. "Well, I'm way better on ice." He drops her leg and ties up the other one now.

"So I've heard." She says, watching the concentration on his face as he ties her laces. "Will you catch me if I fall?" She asks teasingly.

"Definitely not." She gently shoved his shoulder.

"Ass." She mumbles. Ross chuckles and sets her foot back on the ground, her laces now all tied up. He stands up first and holds both his hands out for her to take. "Thank you." She says once she's on her feet. Their hands stay intertwined. He's tempted to lean down and kiss her, but he knows she wants to keep their relationship quiet, so he just squeezes her fingers before letting go.