Chapter One: Wide Awake

[ July 2nd, 2020 ]

It started with a small sneeze into his elbow. Error glanced at the other as he heard it, frowning a bit in a way that the artist beside him recognized as concern and chuckled quietly.

" Relax, Error... It's just a sneeze."

He told him calmly, but the taller didn't trust this and became suspicious of his words. Ink sighed,

" Oh come on- You can't be serious-"

" I just have a bad feeling about this..."

Error mumbled,

" You don't get sick often, nor do you sneeze..."

" Hey, look-"

The glitch glanced over at the artist beside him,

" Don't you start with all your paranoia again- If something happens to me we'll know how to get through it... Okay-?"

"....fine...."

" Ink...."

" I wish I didn't agree with you that day..."

" Error...?"

The voice snapped him out of his thoughts and he perked up, looking tiredly to the golden skeleton.

" You need to get some rest..."

He looked back towards the skeleton in front of him, hooked up to different machines meant for all sorts of things, as well as a single IV of medicine...

" No...."

" You haven't slept for weeks- What'll he say if he wakes up to see you going half insane...?"

" Don't use him against me...."

" Error..."

" I know we have our bigons but we're certainly not friends. The only reason I'm even anywhere near you is because of him..."

Error said, shooting an exhausted, yet still just as terrifying glare at Dream, who sighed, unphased from this glare.

" I'm going to get you some food, then. Do you think you can eat a full plate or do you need milk...?"

" Milk...or nothing.... I don't care..."

" Both it is then...."

Dream nodded and walked off, and Error crossed his arms over the top of the bed.

" I wish you'd wake up, you stupid squid....

He mumbled just a little while after Dream left, shakily lifting one of his hands and placing it over the other's in front of him,

" You're so cold.... yet warm at the same time... Where's your touch...? Why won't you open your eyes...?"

Error added, holding tightly yet gently to the smaller hand in front of him.

" Please come back to me... I can't do this on my own..."

He said, intertwining their fingers softly, well aware he'd get no physical response from the owner of that hand. From Ink. Error didn't feel that burning sensation that he usually did. He'd practiced touch with Ink, and while it wasn't to this degree, the artist had pulled the effort out of him.

" I need you...."

Error quietly begged, looking at his face. Ink had his eyes closed and his mouth open ever so slightly, showing just how deep this 'sleep' was. The glitch quickly looked away, unable to handle looking at him and knowing he could have helped prevent this. This was Error's fault. He could've helped when he realized Ink was in trouble. This was HIS fault. No one else's...