Day 70-99: Ûl

Since she had accepted the Apprenticeship Ûl had been in Veril's care. He brought her to his home, a two layer house with the bottom a work area with hooks on its ceiling and a kitchen and the top as his house with a room with a bed and drawer.
Veril led her to a trap door and into his cellar. There she entered a room with hundreds crates and a single straw bed on the floor.

"This is where you will sleep. You will work with me from sun up to mid afternoon. once i have taught you how to use a tool you are free to use them but not before. I will not be monitoring you but i expect you to be ready in time."
"No problem"
"Good Use the space as you see fit. Don't touch the crates though."
"What's in it?"
"I will show you in time."

After that Ûl was left alone. As per her habit she checked on her arrow stock and fashioned new ones to replenish it. She also looked at the rest of her weapons, checking her knifes sharpness, her bow string tension and her quiver's state.
When she was done she went back up and looked for Veril to start her training. She found him carving a piece of wood.

"Are you done settling? Good. Then let's start. I want you to hunt a boar in the forest. in need to know how you hunt. Don't worry you won't even see me following you."

And with that she was gone. She went deep in the forest and looked for a boar trail. It took her an hour to find one. When she did she masked her odor with some mud and placed an arrow on her bow. Half an hour later she had her prey in sight. A large grey mud and leave covered boar with large defenses.
Four arrows in its flank and it was done.
She pulled her knife out and skinned and took the beast's meat and tusk, putting them in her bag.
The way back to the village was shorter, she proudly presented her trophies to her mentor but his reaction wasn't what she expected.

"I told you to bring back a boar, not parts of it! Go back!"

And she did. Angry at herself and Veril she went back in the forest and spent another three hours looking for the biggest strongest boar she could find.
When she was done though, another problem presented itself to her. The boar, twice her weight was too heavy for her.
After struggling with it for a while she decided to roll it all the way back. By the time she arrived at the hunter's house it the sun was already low in the sky.

"You took your time! What the!... Did you really kill such a huge beast? Idiot! Listen well, one of the rules of hunting is to never hunt more than you can carry. it is both to preserve the animals of the forest and to protect yourself from predators. Do you understand?"

After an entire afternoon spent bent down rolling the boar on the floor while pushing back wolves she had learnt her lesson and bent her head in shame.
Looking at her Veril mood calmed and he told her how to effectively transport preys back to her workstation.

Small preys such as pheasants and rabbits could be transported in satchels or hung over ones shoulder with a string. Larger preys such as deer and boars had to be put on the hunter's shoulder to spread their weight equally.
Veril showed her then made her practice the gesture until it felt natural to her. First you had to tie the fore libs and back libs together with rope or a simile, then you
Wolves, snakes, armadillos and squirrels were not considered preys by hunters although sometimes quests were posted by the village to thin their numbers or collect their hides or parts of their body. In those case it was the hunters duty to fulfill them although lately players where the ones doing so, however Ûl knew that as time passed and they increased in stength les and less of them would do so and the work would fall back on the hunters shoulders.
Another duty of the hunters was to assist rangers by informing them of any abnormalities in the forest and following their rules. Communication and respect between the two professions was primordial as their were symbiotic in the fact that they both affected the forest greatly. Rangers made sure of the well being of the forest, that it didn't shrink due to deforestation or that in fauna didn't go extinct due to intensive hunting.