19. clueless

~~~~

Jae's pov

"No! No! Noooo!" Roman cries out loud and chucks his controller across the bed.

"Bro, chill the fuck down." Conrad snatches the controller away from him. We are in Conrad's basement as it's where we usually go after school.

"Who's going to your Halloween party?" Roman bounces at the end of Conrad's bed.

"I only invited a few people." Conrad responds.

"And that is..." Roman motions for him to continue.

"Taron, Eva, Eric, you," he glares at him. "Jae and Ellie."

"That is not a party."

"Because it's not intended to be one. I just want a few people that I'm close with to come."

"You invited Ellie?" I'm surprised to hear Ellie's invited.

"Yeah, why?" Conrad looks away from his phone.

"Never thought she'd ever come to a party." I've never seen her at one before. I'm not the one to judge, but I think it's not her kind of setting.

"Well, I texted her about it. I don't know if she's actually coming."

"Are you blushing?" Roman wipes his finger over Conrad's cheek. "Omg you are!"

"I am not." he retorts, forcing us to laugh.

My eyes widen in humor when Conrad turns to me. "What are you laughing about?"

"I can't laugh at little Bentley having a crush on Ellie Mae...again." I tease. Conrad throws a pillow at my head.

"He's an actual hypocrite." Conrad points to me.

"I'm a hypocrite?" I throw the pillow back and he swiftly catches it in mid air.

"Um, um, can you help me with my work and what not?" Conrad imitates in a deeper voice than mine. I lunge towards him, starting a wrestling match between us, while Roman laughs in the corner of the room.

"Alright, stop it." Conrad lightly slaps my cheek then stands up from his bed. He takes a seat on his gaming chair. "I guess you're taking my advice on Ellie."

"What?"

"You finally got the guts to ask her."

"Watch, he's going to get attached." Roman whispers to Conrad. I notice them glancing at me, gossiping around as if I'm not in the same room as them.

"That was random." Conrad shakes his head.
"But true at the same time."

"What do you mean?" I ask. Conrad and Roman have more secrets than I thought—a lot of them include Ellie.

"You obviously haven't gotten to know her just yet." Roman smirks.

"Did you guys fuck her or something?" I look in between them.

"Do you really want me to elaborate?" Conrad raises an eyebrow—that's when you know he's serious. He wears a fatherly expression before he lectures us. "Do you?" I think over it until I reluctantly nod for him to continue.

"I was saving this for the day I'd address you about it." Conrad sighs wistfully. I can tell he has thought this through. I don't know if it's something I should be worried about.

My head tilts at his statement, "huh?"

Roman circles around me. "Relax, why so tense?" He massages my shoulders and, although it's very relieving since I had basketball practice last weekend, I glare at him to stop.