7

Onika was still struggling to comprehend the news. The man had bought her an apartment. An actual place for her to live in. It was downtown and newly built. She'd seen pictures of it and taken an online tour. He would take her there next week but she could go whenever she wanted. The keys were hers. He'd given them to her.

She returned to her hotel room after breakfast and started painting. It was going to be big - she'd pulled out a 30 inch canvas for this. She didn't think or know exactly what she was painting, she just knew that she needed to create. The way she felt had to be painted. She rested the canvas against a wall and grabbed Beyoncé's gifts pouring her paints out as needed. She spent the day ignoring calls of sleep and nature as her brushes soared over the canvas. If she slept it was for mere hours before she continued. The canvas needed more green - always more green in different shades. Then more white. Then a splash of blue. She pressed her brush into more paint still, going back to add more detail.

Each time she looked up there was a new thing to paint. All that mattered was the art to her. She exhaled looking at the image. She still didn't know what she was painting or what exactly had inspired this image but she knew she had to paint, her entire body was telling her to paint.

And so she painted, letting her mind be free. Every emotion that came would be food for her painting. Nothing mattered yet everything mattered. It needed more paint. Her eyes were inside of the soul of this painting. She could feel emotion pouring out of her. She cried a couple times while she painted. Nicki was creating a mirror through her brush strokes - reflective of her every emotion.

When Beyoncé arrived at the hotel, Onika was deep in her painting. The room had the plasticky smell of oil paints and Onikas eyes swirled different shades of green. Gingerly, Beyoncé knocked at the door. She could hear noise behind the door - a tv and some movement, Nicki rolled her eyes and grit her teeth returning to the painting she was sure was more important than whoever was at the door. Beyoncé waited but none of these sounds indicated anyone was going to answer. Tucking her lips in, she knocked again. This time she heard a voice respond.

"I'm okay thanks" Onika responded in that curt but polite tone she'd grown used to using as to not offend people. Her mind was elsewhere and the knocking was an unwelcome distraction.

"It's- um-" Beyoncé stuttered, "I'm- um- it's not um- it's Beyoncé." She eventually said hoping her voice was enough. To her surprise the shuffling got louder and her eyebrows knit together. After a couple moments of standing awkwardly she asked "Are you gonna - um- let me in?" Her eyes darted around the hallway in hopes no one was watching her.

Beyoncé had spent the last few days working. She had a lot to do after her meeting with Taraji. Taraji was busy and she needed a space to let go in but it had to be a place she could work from as well. It had to be simple but homely - Beyoncé could do that. She drew up some plans by hand at first before calling anyone in or ordering anything. Her phone dinged with a message from the phone company causing her to roll her eyes. Each time her phone chimed, a small part of her had hoped it was Onika. Since giving her number, Onika hadn't called. She had checked her phone repeatedly, but saw nothing.

The days passed and nothing came from the younger woman. For a moment she worried about Onika, whether she was alive or okay. Maybe she was just ignoring Beyoncé but it was better safe than sorry. Suspicion clouding her vision, she decided to check her husbands messages. His dumb ass never logged out on his MacBook so she quickly found his text thread with Onika and scrolled through. There wasn't much in there but she had been messaging him the past few days so her phone was working and she was fine. She scoffed at his messages. He was basically begging her for nudes but she stopped when she saw the picture Onika had sent. It was a mirror selfie in which she was topless wearing only shorts. Her eyes were immediately drawn to the boobs that held her attention. Her face flushed and she found herself zooming in to the curves of her body. She trailed Nickis body remembering how much better it looked in person. Then she crossed her legs feeling guilty for looking.