Chapter 4

I was climbing through the trees. There were no cares in the world. All there was was me climbing, climbing and climbing, in the trees of Mirkwood. But as I was watching the trees, they started turning black, and shriveled up. Then, I saw Orcs, and I saw Trolls, and I saw Wargs, invading the forest. I tried to take my bow off of my back, but I couldn't. I tried to take out my long knives, but I couldn't do that, either. All I could do was watch as they took over the forest. The castle. My home.

Then, I saw a face. It looked like an old man, but it seemed like he had been on the face of this world for thousands of years. He wore a tall, pointed hat, and had large eyebrows that stuck out past the brim of his hat. He said some kind of spell, and all of the evil forces of Mordor went away, out of Mirkwood. The leaves turned back green, and I could move again. I ran to thank the old man, but then he was gone. I was confused at this, but then, the next thing I knew, the scenery changed.

There were no longer any trees around me. It was a flat plain, and I was staring at the sky. There were Elves carrying me on a stretcher. I realized I was strapped down. "What happened?" I said groggily. The sun seemed to be burning my eyes. The Elves turned their heads towards me, with looks of mingled surprise and joy. They put the stretcher down, and undid the ties holding me down. Then, I saw Míreth, standing over me with lines of worry etched into her smooth face.

"Your leg. It was struck with a poisoned blade. You passed out," Míreth said.

I had forgotten about that. "How long was I asleep?" I asked her.

"Four days," she told me, "You were lucky it wasn't longer."

"Why was I strapped down?"

Míreth looked at me worriedly. "You were trashing about. One time you actually hit Arnos in the head. We had the strap you down, our you would have fallen off several times."

Suddenly, I remembered the man in my dreams. "There was a man. In my dreams. He was a wizard, wasn't he?"

Míreth smiled, brightening her face. "That was Gandalf the Grey. We stumbled across him as we were leaving Mirkwood. He healed your leg, and extracted the poison. That's the only reason you're alive right now."

"Is he here?" I asked, wanting to thank him. When I finished my sentence, the man who I had seen in my dreams walked into my view.

"Hello, Legolas, son of Thranduil, Prince of Mirkwood. It is good to see you awake," Gandalf said. I wondered how long he had been with the group.

"Hello, Gandalf. You look very familiar. Have we met?" I asked.

"Once, when you were very young, and you wouldn't remember that now," Said Gandalf. "I was lucky I was passing through. Otherwise, I fear your wouldn't have made it."

"I thank you, Gandalf the Grey. I will be forever in your debt. How can I ever repay you?" I asked, as I was raised to repay those who help me and my kingdom.

"Do not worry about that now, Legolas. Wait until you are up and on your feet before you burden yourself with such worries," Gandalf said.

"If I may ask, why are you not with the Ring Bearer?"

"I had to answer some questions. Also, the Ranger Aragorn is meeting them at the Prancing Pony, so they will be fine," Gandalf told me.

"Wait. I thought there was only one Ring Bearer?" I asked.

"Frodo's gardener, Samwise Gamgee, was eavesdropping, and to prevent him from telling anyone about the Ring, I made him go with Frodo," he stated simply.

I thought about this for a bit, and, deciding it was for the best, changed the subject. "When shall I be able to walk again?"

Gandalf thought about this. "Within the day," he told me.

I was celebrating inside at this. "Good," I said, "I shall be able to get to Rivendell on time."