6 - His Worry

-Previously on: Lost...-

"Kuro, it knows I can't protect myself. They're gonna attack us." I want to cry. Kuro's worked so hard the past two days trying to keep me alive, and this is what's gonna kill me?

"Not if I have anything to say about it." Kuro mutters quietly. I suddenly see his foot lift up, his tennis shoe coming in direct contact with the wolf's nose. The animal whimpers before releasing an angry growl.

Juuuuuust great.

With the wolf momentarily distracted by the pain of Kuro's heel against its snout, Kuro loops his hands underneath my underarms and lifts me to my feet. I release a shriek of pain as I feel the pressure of my own weight lean on my right leg. My legs collapse out from under me, but Kuro catches me before I go down. The rest of the two teams startle, alarmed by my scream. Oops.

A scream echos back to me through the darkness. Another.

Guess they found the wolves.

Kuro grabs me by the waist, holding me horizontally at his side. A strangled gasp escapes me when his arm presses against my bruised left side. "Kuro, please-" I plead, feeling unable to breathe due to the excruciating pain.

A sharp sting stabs me in my left calf, but it doesn't hold a candle against the rest of my aching body. However, the force of whatever caught me pulls me backward, out of Kuro's arms. Kuro and I hit the floor.

I try as hard as I can to kick the thing away, but my only free leg (my right leg) lacks less than enough energy to even lift itself up. I feel helpless as it drags me through the leaves, snarling. I can't even help myself.

Looking around, I realize most of the teenage volleyball players have disappeared. Where did they go?

Dread sparks inside me when I see Daichi, Suga, and Kuro backed right up against the firepit. A few wolves surround them. "Kuro!" I scream. It's hard to see in the dark, however, I notice his head turn in my direction at the sound of my breaking voice.

"Kenma?!" He shouts, his voice panicked. "Kenma, where are you?!"

"Kuro, please-" I sob as I continue to try to kick the rabid animal away. The thing, finally fed up with me, lets go of my leg and snaps its jaws in my direction, growling. "Get off me!"

Suddenly, a fiery hot, glowing coal comes flying through the air, hitting the wolf right in the side of the face. An eerie sizzle draws a whimper from the creature.

Another one hits the animal in the chest, leaving a harsh burnt welt in its place. It finally gives up, barking before taking off into the trees. I slump back, somehow even more exhausted than I was before.

"Kenma!" Kuro screams my name for the millionth time, running up to me. He scoops me into his arms, sprinting to the bus. "You're gonna be okay, kitten. I said it before and I'll say it again." The bus is packed with the Karasuno and Nekoma teams.

Suga and Daichi follow us, quickly slamming the bus door shut before three more rabid wolves have the chance to trail board. "Lay him down." Suga places a hand on Kuro's back as he carries me to a bus seat, gently setting me on the cushion.

"Hey, Kenma?" I peep my eyes open again to find Suga looking down at me, "Really putting you through the wringer, huh?" He chuckles, but it lacks any real joy. I can feel the fear in his voice.

The chilling sound of wolves barking just outside the door of the bus only works to thicken my anxiety.

"You know, I've always hated dogs." I groan. I hadn't thought it a joke, but the painfully aggressive sound of Kuro's laugh somehow comforts me in the slightest.