The Useless Wife

"You're a trash! You don't even belong to this family!"

"I don't even know what did Jennie see in you, you're a good for nothing trash!"

"Why can't you be capable like any other in-laws out there?"

"For once, could you please stop being so useless and divorce Jennie?!"

Those are just few questions that I always hear from them, my wife's family. Her Mom looks at me with visible disgust on her face, her Dad who simply ignores me, her cousins who keep on downgrading me just because I am poor. 

I don't know if Jennie is just oblivious and unaware or she's just letting it pass because it's true. 

I grew up in an orphanage and since then my life's just been too lonely then one day when I was 18, a young beautiful woman on her business suit came to me with her cold eyes and told me the she wants to marry me. And me being the ignorant one who doesn't know what marriage really brings, I agreed because she seems kind behind those cold eyes.

That was 3 years ago.

That's when I met Jennie. Jennie Ruby Jane Kim. She was 25 at that time and up until now, I still have no idea as to why she married me. 

For we never really shared a bed, we don't even usually talk. She just brought me to this hell and I can't even complain because I don't want her to get mad at me. I hate it when she's mad. 

For the past 3 years, I slept on the ground and she's on the bed, I never complained tho. When she comes home, she won't even eat those foods that I cooked for her, she goes straight to bed and it makes me sad. I'm her wife, right? We're married.

We live with her parents and they never hired a maid so yes I do the cooking, yes I do the cleaning. 

Lisa this, Lisa that.

My life's been auto-piloted since 3 years ago, I wake up at exactly 6am to go to the market and buy goods, then I'll cook their breakfast, I will eat after them then after that, I will clean everything, then they'll leave the house to me, sometimes her mom even locks it. Her Mom and Dad will come home to eat lunch and if I get to take some naps, Mom's voice will be heard until the next village. They'll call me useless as usual.

Then at night, same old shit.

I'm getting tired of this setup, to be honest. I don't deserve it. I don't deserve all of this treatment. I deserve more than this. And I know who I am.

But what can I do? I love my wife. More than anything and I'll choose her over and over again. 

Lalisa Pranpriya Manoban