03 | a token of favour

Start from the beginning

"Shut up Annie," Gilbert hissed, but he only made me laugh harder. He was like a small kid trying to play knight, and it was adorably comical. As I laughed until my sides began to hurt, another person emerged from the changing room, and I immediately fell silent.

"Lady Winterbourne," Edmund greeted amiably, and I had to awkwardly smile and curtsey in return. "How was your stomachache?"

My already fake smile began to crack as I became overwhelmed by waves of embarrassment that washed all over me. "Pardon me?" I questioned back, attempting to sound bold and unbothered, but only a small squeak escaped me.

"When we last saw each other, you said you had a stomachache and needed to leave. I do hope that you reached the lavatory in time, but to get to the palace from the gardens is quite a long walk. Did you get there safely, Lady Winterbourne?" he questioned shamelessly, and I prayed that the Earth would open up and swallow me whole.

"I ran, Your Grace, and yes I did get there in time. Many thanks for your concern," I said through gritted teeth.

Never have I ever regretted lying so much in my entire life. Gilbert was holding back his laughter and managed to mask it as a yawn, but I knew that I would never hear the end of this for as long as I exist.

I then escorted Gilbert to the stables and went to join Lisbeth and Mother in the stands. Only several feet away from me were the King and Queen, sitting on their sumptuous thrones and surrounded by their beautiful children.

I had not seen Lady Grace Ainsworth anywhere, and I began to fear that I would not be able to fulfill the task that Father had given me.

"This is nothing more than a simple task," Father had said while he fastened the bracelet on my wrist. "See this odd pearl? Simply uncap it, and I want you to tip the powder inside this pearl onto Lady Grace Ainsworth's skin."

"But why, Father?" I asked, afraid of what I had to do.

"You are my smartest child, Anne. I am certain that you know what needs to be done."

The cheers and high pitched shrieks of some shameless ladies could be heard when the jousters rode into the arena on their tall horses, distracting me from my thoughts.
My brother Gilbert looked as if he wanted to throw up, and his already pale face became even paler.

He held the blunt lance with shaking hands, but when he saw me and my mischievous grin, he rolled his eyes and broadened his chest to look bolder and more intimidating.

I went to edge of the stands near Gilbert and said, "They should've given you a kid sized armor, Gil. With an armor this big, you can crawl inside and hide your head like a tortoise."

Gilbert's cheeks became red with embarrassment and he hissed, "Shut up Annie! Let's make a deal, if I win, you must give me the rest of the candy in that jar of yours."

"If you win," I giggled. "If you lose, you must give me your portion of desserts for a year!"

Gilbert's eyes widened in horror, and he said, "That's a bit too much, Annie. You can have my desserts for a week at most!"

I could not answer him however, as Father had called out to him to go enter the jousting arena, and I was left standing there like an idiot. I was ready to return to my seat, but then I heard someone calling out for me.

"Lady Winterbourne," the familiar voice said, and I reluctantly turned around.
"Your Grace," I greeted, confused as to why he would want to speak to me yet again.