02 | of conflicts and poison

Começar do início

         "Even more so than Grace Ainsworth?" I asked, and Corinne scoffed dismissively.
         "Grace Ainsworth's front teeth are so long that she looks like a wild hare, and her nostrils are so wide that I could fit an entire toe in there!" she spat while laughing hysterically.

I was unimpressed by this one-sided humiliation, and Corinne seemed to not realise that she was no great beauty either.

       "Prettier than you, then?" I jeered, narrowing my eyes in contempt.

      Immediately, Corinne gasped and looked at me in disbelief. That was when I knew that I had rubbed her sore spot.
     "Anne!" she exclaimed exasperatedly. "How dare you compare that witch's sister, to me, daughter of an earl? Are you stupid?"

Gilbert, who sat beside me, rolled his eyes with annoyance. While I often tolerated Corinne's behaviour, my brother had never liked her and always treated her coldly. "I am going to the library and do something that is actually productive. Are you coming with me, Anne?" he says, and I briskly nod.

     Corinne made a sound of displease after realising that no one wanted to listen to her humiliating and bad-mouthing another girl who had done nothing wrong to her, and crossed her arms sulkily. Gilbert and I could not care less and we calmly headed outside.

    To get to the library, you had to pass by my father's study, and at that particular moment, the door was slightly ajar, and I could hear the voices of my parents, my aunt and uncle, and Benedict, all shrieking at the top of their lungs.

         "You can't kill her!" I heard Benedict shout. "Not Leanne, not my Leanne! She is pregnant with my child, Father! My heir!"

        "She is carrying a bastard in her belly!" his father, the Earl snapped and Benedict fell silent, and only his soft sobs could be heard.

      "But we don't have to kill her," Father suddenly said, his tone calm and lighthearted, a stark contrast to the tumultuous atmosphere of the room.

     My mother, Uncle Tristan and Aunt Catherine all opened their mouths to refute him, but my father stood his ground.

         "Why kill someone who could be our ally? It is the enemy that we should kill," he declared coolly.

Gilbert and I then decided to peek through the slightly open door, and I could see my father sitting calmly on his armchair, while Mother stood in the middle of the room with her hands on either side of her waist.

      Benedict was kneeling on the floor completely downtrodden, but after hearing Father's words, my cousin glanced up at him with a hopeful smile on his face, as if the sun had finally shone again.

      "You are saying that we should kill Grace Ainsworth?" my uncle the Earl said, subconsciously stroking his long brown beard. "She is the Queen's sister. Our actions will not go unnoticed."

       "Yes, it will not go unnoticed. But without evidence, how can they trace it back to us? They won't be able to accuse us, let alone implicate us for her death," my mother said thoughtfully.

       "But how, Sister?" Uncle Tristan asked sceptically. " Send an assassin? Stage an accident?"

      "We shall use poison," Father stated simply, and my uncle's eyes lit up as he cupped his hands together in agreement, and said, "Yes, that seems efficient. We should get this done and over with soon--"

      "You seem to have forgotten something," Father chuckled, his violet eyes narrowing as he glared at Uncle Tristan.

      "What do you mean by that, brother ?" my uncle asked stupidly, and my father scoffed at him.

      "This is House Winterbourne, not a charity home. If you want something to be done, you must pay," Father said coldly. Uncle Tristan looked at my father in disbelief, and then at my mother, begging for help.

        "But Husband !" my mother cried out. "They're family! You wouldn't want to see poor Benny being humiliated by everyone!"

        "Belle, none of my children went on to impregnate women all across the continent. It was your brother's," Father hissed.

The very next morning, the Moreau family went home at the crack of dawn, huffing and complaining about every single thing that entered their sight.
Uncle Tristan was furious with my father for demanding money in exchange for killing Grace Ainsworth, while Corinne was still angry about what I had said the night before.

         I thought that would be the end of it - maybe Grace Ainsworth would live after all, and Benedict would have to marry her, and as for his mistress Leanne McCarthy, she would have to make do with whatever fate befalls her, or even get rid of the baby inside her belly. I truly thought that would be the end of it.

     But a fortnight later, a large crate bearing the Moreau family crest was sent to Winterbourne Castle. It was taken straight to my father's study, and the table groaned under its heavy weight. Gilbert told me that the crate was filled with so much gold and jewellery that it burst open as soon as the latch was lifted.

      Mother gave Lisbeth and me baskets full of jewellery, but she did not tell us where it came from. I had so many necklaces and bangles that I could not decide which to wear, and I ended up ditching them altogether.

A few days later, however, Father gave me a new bracelet, which is rather surprising, considering the fact that I had boxes full of unworn jewellery simply gathering dust inside my wardrobe.

      It was pretty and delicate though, crafted from a smooth, shiny silver with pearl tassels, but one of the pearls looked odd. It was much duller than the rest, and looked as if it were hollow and could easily be cracked open.

      "Why do you give me this bracelet, Father?" I asked weakly, knowing that it could mean nothing good. He smiles benevolently upon me.

"I have a task for you, dear Anne."

Before you leave, consider leaving a vote if you liked the story. It means the world to me :)