Chapter 10: The Announcement

Start from the beginning

"Oh, Richard, you didn't have to do anything special for me."

"Of course I did. You're the love of my life. I couldn't stop thinking about you the whole time I was gone."

Thank you for the guilt trip, Richard. I didn't respond because I couldn't say the same thing.

"Well," he said after a moment of uncomfortable silence. "Let's see what I have here." He handed me a tiny gift bag.

I graciously took the bag and pulled out a small box. It held a pair of turquoise drop earrings. He knew I loved the dangly ones. "Thank you, Richard. They're lovely."

He handed me several more small bags and boxes, pulling them all out from one gigantic bag. They were filled with pretty pieces of jewelry: a ruby brooch, drop earrings made of diamond and crystal, dangly onyx earrings, an antique diamond and gold brooch, a gem-filled snowflake brooch (he knew I had a thing for snowflakes, so I would just put it away until winter), and finally a pair of lapis lazuli earrings.

"I know you love lapis. I don't really know why, but if you love it, I will buy it for you for the rest of my life." He leaned in and kissed my nose. "I have one more bag for you."

He handed me a larger bag, containing three boxes. I opened the smallest one first. I gasped at the stunning diamond and pearl necklace and the matching drop earrings.

"Richard, you spoil me!" I leaned over and kissed his cheek.

Next I opened what was obviously a shoe box. It revealed a gorgeous pair of white pumps with a large rectangular jewel on the toe. "Wow!" I breathed.

Finally, I lifted the garment box out of the bag. I reverently opened it, knowing Richard had planned this to be the pièce de résistance. Inside, I found a stunning blue sleeveless dress. It was made of a flowing chiffon. A wide sash around the waist was covered with diamonds, and the shoulders each had a little square of diamonds as well.

"Richard, this is exquisite, really. Thank you." I didn't have to pretend to like anything that he gave me – he knew my tastes and everything was beautiful, especially the dress. It was somewhat simple, but very elegant.

I leaned in and kissed him on the lips, which was unusual for me. He placed his hand on the back of my neck and pressed our lips more firmly together. I could tell he wanted the kiss to go deeper, but it was morning. We didn't kiss like that until the end of a date.

"Richard," I laughed, causing him to stop the kiss.

He took my hand and said, "I'd like you to wear this tonight." He motioned to the dress.

"Yes, of course I will. This must be some huge announcement. You're not moving away, are you?" I faked a worried look, but inside I was actually hopeful that it was a big enough business venture that he would move further away.

"No, we're not moving anywhere," he smiled reassuringly. We? As in Richard and his parents? Or Richard and me? I was uneasy about the idea that Richard was planning a future for us. Certainly, everyone expected us to get married, but I was nowhere near ready. I was only 18, for heaven's sake! Well, at least I knew that if he was starting a new business venture, he wouldn't have time to think about marriage just yet.

Just then, Louis walked by the open door of the sitting room. It was odd for him to be in the house at this time of day.

"Who was that?" Richard asked.

"Louis."

Louis popped his head into the doorway. "Yes? Did someone say my name?"

"I'm sorry, Louis, I was just telling Richard your name because he hasn't met you yet." I stood up and motioned for him to come in.