Day 4: You Look Happier

Three hours later, Melinda is sitting at her desk at work. She's looking into the distance with a stupidly happy grin on her face and just spacing out, not doing anything. She doesn't hear that someone walks to her and stops beside her. That same person clears their throat, then drops a stack of papers in front of her.

"Williams," a voice says, and Melinda finally snaps out of it, blushes hard and turns to look at the person. "There you are," Greenway says and smiles at her, "You were just millions of miles away, care to tell if that was a good or a bad place?"

Melinda blushes and drops her gaze to the floor. "Uh.. good..." she stutters shyly.

Greenway lifts one eyebrow at her. "Anything to do with the stuff a couple of days ago?" She asks and grins at her.

"Last Friday...?" Melinda says confused, then her eyes fly open, and she blushes even more. She keeps her eyes down and just nods slightly. She hears Greenway laughing a warm-hearted laugh and patting her shoulder lightly.

"Told ya, Williams. There you go. Well done," she says. Melinda lifts her gaze and looks at Greenway's wide smile. A small smile creeps on Melinda's lips too, and she chuckles.

"I went for it, Greenway," she says, and giggles. "I really did it," she says and smiles widely. "And I can't believe my luck now. Our feelings ended up being mutual, and... well... after I get off work today, I'll go pickup my girlfriend — I can't believe I'm using that word — and we'll go grocery shopping and then head to my place. It's somehow too unreal still," Melinda says.

"I'm happy for you, Williams," Greenway says and smiles at her. "I really am. You look so much happier than just a few days ago."

Melinda smiles at her and nods. "I guess I am. Yeah, I am much happier now," she says.

"Good," Greenway says and grins roguishly at her. "Then it's probably no problem for you that today's the cross-department presentation to the client, and since you're the lead in our department for this project, you're going to present it," she says.

"Me!? Today?!", Melinda yelps and almost jumps. "It's today?! Oh, for crying out loud... I forgot about it completely..." she says and shakes her head, then stops and looks up, smiling. "But you're right. I can do it. Nothing can drop my spirits now. I can do it!" She says and stands up straight.

"Hah! Good on you, girl!" Greenway says. "Though I must warn you, the other department who's presenting with us... their lead is notoriously difficult to present with. She's stickler to details, and she doesn't match well with our presenters - or at least she hasn't yet with anybody. We've had four presentations together, and all of our supers - Mr. Goodwill, Mr. Stevens, Mr. Martinson, and Mr. Richter - all of them said she just ignored them as much as she could. She's notorious with the higher-ups for her difficulty in presenting," Greenway informs her.

"Oh crap," Melinda says. "She sounds like a case and a half herself," she says. They start to walk forward and pass thought their department on their way to Melinda's desk.

"Don't worry, Williams," Greenway says. "I think you'll do just fine. It's the old men who probably have had the problem," she says, and smiles. "It's probably just exaggerated a little bit..." she says and stops at the door to the room.

"What's her name? Who is she?" Melinda asks.

"I don't remember," Greenway says. "It was some kind of foreign name, I didn't pay attention to it. She's the programming department's star. Anyway, look she should be here already, let's go meet her," Greenway says and opens the door.

"Foreign...? Programming Department..." Melinda says and steps into the room, looks up, and gasps loudly, then smiles widely.

"Hi, Mel," Émilie says and smiles at her widely.

Melinda walks to her. She looks at Greenway, who's looking at them with a raised eyebrow. Melinda winks at her. "Hello girlfriend," she says happily to Émilie.