Day 2: Émilie Feels Bad

It was almost evening when Melinda got back home from work. She just dropped her jacket on her floor, walked to the living room and plopped down on the couch, spent. She leaned backward and closed her eyes.

"Oh, my goddess, that was a day and a half," she said aloud. She pulled out her phone. Not a lot going on, just a few messages.

(Émilie) Yeah, sure. I don't really have anything planned for the weekend.

(Émilie)... anymore. Now that...

(Émilie) Sorry, I must be a bother for you.

(Émilie) I understand if you wanna take that offer back, I'm horrible company at the moment.

It was like something twisted inside Melinda as her fingers flew to answer the messages. No, she wasn't! At all! On the contrary, she... well, she was her friend... wasn't she? Right? Or did she want something more...?

(Melinda) You're not a bother! And I'm really, really sorry for reminding you about that. Truly, Emi. I'm sorry. I will not take the offer back, if that's okay for you. I'm free any day, so whenever you want to... just let me know.

She put the phone on her table and leaned back again. What was it that I wanted from her? She thought. Did I want to stay as her friend, or did I want something more...? And if I did, what was the 'more' I meant? Did I want to be her BFF, or... She almost jumped out of her skin when her phone went ping on the table. She grabbed it and quickly opened messages.

(Émilie) Thank you, Mel. I really needed that. You do know I appreciate you being my friend a whole lot. It's just that... there's so much on my mind now and I can't do this alone... thanks for being there, Mel.

Melinda felt a lump in her throat and swallowed hard. Her fingers were typing already, before she had even noticed it herself.

(Melinda) Anytime, Emi. If you feel like it, even if it's 3 am, just shoot a message or call.

(Melinda) How you're holding up now?

She looked at the screen and before she even had time to put it down, a new message arrived.

(Émilie) I'm... alright, I don't wanna lie to you. To be honest, not that well. The reality is starting to hit me. I've been crying my eyes out for the last two hours. This is the first night without... without her... without us being... 'us'. To be fair, Mel, I'm not taking it too well.

(Melinda) If there's anything...! ANYTHING you want me to do, just say it, Emi.

(Melinda) You've always been sensitive and heartbreaks bring you down so much, so I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through now, I've never had my heart broken like that. I'm so sorry I can't do more...

(Émilie) If I'm honest, there is one thing... But...

(Melinda) Emi. Just spit it out. I said anything; I meant *anything*!

(Émilie) I... I don't wanna be alone, Mel. It's tearing me apart, being here with just my thoughts.

(Émilie) Could I...

(Émilie) nvm, that's too much to ask. Just forget about it.

Melinda felt her own eyes water. She jumped up from the couch and grabbed her jacket, the day's tiredness fading to a memory and being replaced by worry about her friend. While running out and to her car, she shot a quick message and then threw the phone in her pocket and started driving.

(Melinda) Pack up, I'm on my way.