Chapter 1: Bombshell Red

The plan started out innocent enough. Just a few people getting together down by the lake. It was Josie's idea. She's always the one coming up with spontaneous things for us to do. It was easy to pull off too. Sage said her family has a cabin down by lake liquor. It's not really called that, but since it's a prime place for high school kids to drink and get away with it that's its unofficial name. She made sure to snag the spare key from her house and spread the word to a few people.

Sophie agreed to be the cover. She's the innocent face of the group. No one thinks sweet little Sophie is capable of any harm. So we always use her as a cover for our parents. Her parents always think she's off studying for some test or something.

It really is too easy these days.

I made sure to pack a weekend bag and take it with me to school on Friday. Leaving it in my car. I'm so glad my parents decided to give me a mini cooper for my 18th birthday last month.

There wasn't anything unusual about any of this. This is a normal day in my life with my friends and best friend Josie. Life is always crazy around these girls. The whole plan was to go out and have some wild fun, maybe find a cute guy to hook up with.

Well, that "maybe" turned into a mission as soon as first period started.

We had a sub in chem and everyone was already goofing off before the class even started.

"Settle down, everyone settle down," Poor Ms. Mayfield, she is such a pushover. When she's subbing everyone knows they can just do whatever they want. She talks so quietly too. If the room isn't quiet you can hardly hear her.

"Ugh, Mayfield again," Josie pulled out her phone.

"Did you pack your bag?" I ask her.

"Sure did. We're rooming together, Sage said so."

"Just don't hog all the blankets like you usually do." I pull out my own phone.

Josie snorts in amusement.

"Josephine Hampton?" Ms. Mayfield calls.

"Here, and for the hundredth time it's Josie!"

"Kathleen Hanson?"

"Here, and it's Kat!" I shout back.

"Kathleen, your name sounds like someone who works the front desk at a law firm."

"Shut it, Josephine, your name sounds like you'll grow up to live alone in the country."

"Shut up," she laughs and kicks me in the leg.

"You first," I giggle and kick her back.

See, just a normal day.

Until he walked in.

The whole room went silent. I didn't even know he was coming back today. Last I saw him he was as thin as my pinky and his voice squeaked when he talked. I felt my heart stop. No longer was he the geek everyone picked on. Standing in the doorway was the hottest bad boy I'd ever seen.

I knew I had to make him mine.

"Can I help you?" Ms. Mayfield asks.

"It's Carson Bowers, I was told I'm in this class." He shuffled in and plopped down at the first empty desk by the door, which allowed me to stare at him through the corner of my eyes. I didn't want to make it obvious I was looking.

I know it's embarrassing but I've had a huge crush on him even before he was hot and cool. Back when we were kids and he was dorky and pimply. Even all the way back then I was in love with him. Josie always picked on me for it. She's the only one who knows how I feel about Carson Bowers.