22. The Summer Apart

Song for this chapter ~ This Town by Niall Horan

Calista's POV

Although a decent amount of summer holiday had now passed, I felt as though Sirius and I were still not entirely acquainted. That's not to say I didn't enjoy his company, however, we still hadn't gotten into much detail about my life before I was adopted or more specifically, my real mother. Instead, we talked about my muggle upbringing with Jamie, as well as my past five years spent at Hogwarts.

Of course I knew the main reason for my invitation to stay at Grimmauld Place was to get answers about my past, but I felt awkward whenever I attempted bringing my mother up, as each time I did, Sirius would remind me that he really had not known her at all, let alone her name. I knew eventually I'd want to get a full explanation, I just needed it to be the right moment.

As I now sat in silence in the darkly furnished drawing room of number 12, Grimmauld Place with a book in hand, Sirius sat himself across from me on the other sofa to open up the Daily Prophet. I went back to looking down at my book before he began to speak only seconds later.

"Those earrings are lovely, by the way," he spoke, clearly attempting at small talk—something I despised to say the least, but I attempted my best anyways.

"Thanks."

"From George?" he now questioned, before I reached my fingers up to one of the small, purple butterfly earrings George had gifted me for my birthday. I gave a smile while nodding my head in response.

When I first arrived at Grimmauld Place at the beginning of the summer, I was nothing but miserable. Not only did I immediately begin to miss George, but the dwelling thought of Almira spending time with him this summer only made us being apart, worse. I had, however, quickly come to realize that I shouldn't preoccupy my mind with these thoughts, seeing as there were much more important matters to discuss with Sirius.

"Remus has told me a bit about him...says he's a nice fellow." I continued nodding my head, not knowing how to respond to what he was saying. "Although a bit of a troublemaker when he's with his twin, I've heard."

"That's not saying much," I chuckled. "...all of the Gryffindors are."

"I suppose you're not wrong," he murmured, his face now looking like he was deep in his thoughts. "James and I were constantly getting into all kinds of trouble...Remus was always the voice of reason...telling us off as usual..."

Although he began to trail off into his own thoughts it now seemed, he quickly snapped back into reality. "Speaking of Remus, I've invited him over again if that's alright with you," he stated, instantly noticing my change in expression. "He should be here any moment, although I'm now realizing I should've asked you sooner," he said, with guilt on his face, waiting for my response.

"It's fine, I'll probably head up to my room soon anyways...I just received a letter from George today that I've been meaning to respond to."

Although I was telling the truth, I still wasn't quite yet ready to face the man that had left me a hideous scar. I knew it wasn't his fault entirely, and that I had him to thank for saving George that one dreadful night, but I just didn't know what type of reaction I would have to seeing him. With the several visits he had already made this summer, I was either hidden in my room, or sitting outside on the park bench just across the street writing letters to George.

"He feels quite terrible about what happened you know," he sighed. "Although, I completely understand you not wanting to see him."

"I know...I'd rather just not right now. Besides, I really do need to write back to George."