Tonight

She let Mable know she'd have to miss their lunch, and went back to the surgery. She unpacked and organised till six, and drove back to the Chickadee Flight. When she parked her Panda, she saw Rhys' truck in the driveway. That explained his 'See you tonight.'

When she entered the cottage, her nose filled with the smell of Indian food. She could also hear Mable's favourite Natalie Cole murmuring in the dining room.

"Viola, finally!" Nana announced, when Viola came in after washing her hands. "We were famished, but didn't want to start without you."

Rhys got up from his spot at the table. But of course, the Holyoake courtesy.

"Evening," Viola said, well aware how cold her voice was. "Are we celebrating something?"

"No, dear, it's simply Sunday. I always have one or two of my grandchildren over for dinner," Mable said with a silver laugh, and pointed at Rhys who sat down and lifted a glass of red wine to his lips.

When he drank, he tended to purse his lips. She'd forgotten that gesture of his.

"Oh, are we expecting someone else?" Viola asked, trying - and failing - to keep sarcasm out of her voice.

"You'll have to settle for me tonight," Rhys answered.

"Well, beggars can't be choosers," Viola said, and he narrowed his eyes at her. "I'll change and will be down in a minute," she said and walked to the stairs.

"What have you done?" she heard Mable ask Rhys behind her.

Viola walked upstairs before he could answer.

Once again the question of clothing arose, and Viola exhaled in irritation. She clearly wasn't expected to don an evening gown. Mable was dressed in her usual manner - elegant well-cut trousers, a white button-up, and a long charcoal cardigan. Rhys had his habitual military style jumper and dark denim on. On the other hand, she'd feel better if she dressed up. Hani used to call her outfits her 'armour.'

She internally praised herself for packing her favourite boatneck sheath dress. She loved its elegant twill of deep navy colour. She pinned her hairs up and pushed her feet in her dervish shoes she tended to wear indoors. It was a trusted look - put-together and versatile - and she felt immediately better.

Downstairs, she took a spot to Mable's left, across the table from Rhys, and he handed her a plate. He clearly couldn't wait to start eating.

"So, Rhys is telling me you ran into each other earlier today," Mable asked, plating some rice and dal.

"Yes, in the gym," Viola said.

She shook her head, refusing the platter with rice that Rhys offered her, and spooned some mutton curry on her plate.

"There was an incident in the pool," Rhys said. "Nothing serious, but it was nice to have a medical specialist to stop by. Evy's mum was grateful for the reassurance," he said to Viola, who nodded and sent a forkful of the meat into her mouth.

"I'm sure Viola was surprised to see you teach the children to swim," Mable said, her eyes twinkling mischievously. "Considering your personal history."

Viola looked at the woman and then shifted her gaze onto Rhys. He ate silently, watching her.

"It was unexpected," Viola said in an even tone.

"I'm not sure if you still remember," Mable said with a chuckle, "But it is one of the many flaws of this family. We're endlessly stubborn. Doing what scares us most is the Holyoakes' favourite pursuit."

"I'm sure Viola isn't interested in hearing about my swimming classes," Rhys said in a grave tone.

'Sure' should be the man's middle name, Viola thought venomously. Instead of Patrick.